only 1 baby chick?

maddy14

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 22, 2011
i have a one day old chick that i took away from its mother as she had killed another one from a previous hatch. there is only one cause the other one was a double yolk and it didnt hatch yet.
i have it in a box with straw/hay in the bottom and i provided food for it (even though they dont need food yet) and right now she is pecking at her food and drinking a little water from my finger (lukewarm water) i have a light and the temp is about 94 degrees right now. she is currently sleeping in a little hat and has been sleeping on and off for 3 hours. she actually just woke up and is trying to jump out of her box.. should i let her walk around? and she only falls asleep when she is in my hand then i have to put her into her box while she is asleep. i know you are not supposed to handle them a lot though so what can i do, am i doing anything wrong, and what can i improve?

She just came into the world not that long ago. Mebbe it would be a bit much for her to be touring it just yet. As for the only one chick part, is the only other egg you're hatching a double-yolker? I've heard that it's the hardest for those to hatch because they have nothing hard to push on and they need to be helped. (But don't quote me on that.) If they don't make it, and you still have one lonely baby, you could get it a stuffed animal for company. With the handling thing, just don't let her be overwhelmed. Let her have some time to educate herself. Congratulations!

thanks! she has a little stuffed baby chick now that i just conveniently had laying around
smile.png
i also heard that you can give them mirror??

Quote:
A mirror might help, but I always give my baby parrots a beanie baby or small stuffie and they sure love to cuddle up to it. It keeps their body warmth in too, much like a blanket would.

Back
Top Bottom