1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

only ducks disappearing.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by nightstar, Nov 30, 2015.

1. hayley3

hayley3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    What is a no-climb fence? Never heard of that.

2. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Horses are known to put their hooves through a fence where the opening is wide enough, so they sell fencing designed with smaller openings so they can't get their hooves through it. Its called no-climb fencing.

3. hayley3

hayley3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Oh I bet that's expensive. I could use some though...my goats like to climb on my fence. [​IMG]

4. nightstar

nightstar Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2012
    they could fly out. Well some of them can. However we have had these ducks between 2-5 years and have never had one fly over the fence.

5. nightstar

Sep 27, 2012
    I have put a motion sensor camera out now. Only thing is, it had been raining and goes off every time a rain drop falls in front of it. Lol

6. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Mmmm thats interesting. I am use to chickens and ours if we dont keep their wings clipped will fly over anytime they get a chance lol they like bugs to much.

7. nightstar

Sep 27, 2012
    we are in middle Tennessee. Seen bobcats about 25 years ago on the property but none since.pretty much every critter you mentioned has been seen here at one time or another. We have had problems with raccoons and opossums but they always left evidence that something had been here.

8. nightstar

Sep 27, 2012
    I have not had any problems with my goats climbing the fence. One is a pygmy and the other is a Tennessee fainting goat. They do however like to stand up against it when you are on the other side and they like to rub their body against it pushing it outwards.

9. nightstar

Sep 27, 2012
    Noone came up missing today. However when I went outside earlier I did see a larger bird kind of swoop down and then flew in to the woods. I did not get a look at what kind it was. It was pouring rain and you don't see many birds out in the rain.

10. nightstar

Sep 27, 2012
    lol, I don't like duck meat at all. However i prefer duck eggs to chicken eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by