Only one chick left....what to do

M4Ahmed16

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 14, 2013
I bought six chicks 14 days ago. 4 of them died within the first 5 days. That left me with 2. They both were living happily until today, when one of them fell into the water container. Somebody had filled the container with a lot of water. So now I'm left with one chick, about 2-3 weeks old. It keeps on chirping and I don't have immediate access to another chick for it because chicks like to socialize. I kept my chicks in a cardboard box. So can this chick be raised alone and how do I do it?
hmm.png

It keeps on chirping, like it needs to get out of the box,but it causes a mess wherever I leave it. I'm trying to put it to sleep but it wakes up after 30 mins or so. How do I get it to stop chirping?

Go to tractor supply and get a few buddies for it. it probably wont stop chirpping. Its instict tells it that it is a death sentence to be alone. It needs a flock to be part of.

Any ideas why all the rest died? Is their brooder temp right? Eating their chick starter? Maybe a case of cocci?

Kinda what I was wondering - all I'm seeing is that it's in a cardboard box. Where is the box? What's in it? Where's the heat source? What's the temperature of the box area? What are you feeding them? You certainly don't want it out of the box for any length of time since it would chill quickly - especially in this weather.

It keeps on chirping, like it needs to get out of the box,but it causes a mess wherever I leave it. I'm trying to put it to sleep but it wakes up after 30 mins or so. How do I get it to stop chirping?

They're going to cheep - that's what chicks do. Even when they are happily surrounded by buddies and snug and content - you'll hear them cheep. It's a soft, sweet sound. I've even got one (a hen) that whistles when she sleeps and reminds me of what she sounded like as a chick. Depending on the light in the room where the box is, the chick could very well not be sleeping because it's got its wires crossed about what time of day it is. It's one reason I don't like using lights as heat sources. You can get some great heat emitters that screw into a socket just like a bulb, but don't emit any light. They are generally used for reptile habitats; but, they work great for brooders (and incubators).

Read through the learning centre section for raising baby chicks - it will be very helpful to you if she survives and you plan to get her some friends.

Back
Top Bottom