only one chicken out of three laying!

mbomba

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 2, 2010
I am a new chicken owner. I got my three hens from a poultry auction (yes, I know that's probably a no no, but that's what i did), so I don't have much information about their history. They are 3 fully grown barred rock hens. after settling into their new home for a few days, ONE of them began laying an egg a day. the other two lay nothing. i do believe they came from the same brood, as they were sold together and follow each other around--so stands to reason they are the same age. i feed them balanced chicken feed, some scratch, oyster shell, and occassional kitchen scraps (usually greens and vegetable scraps). they are free roaming. if the one egg-layer were more sporadic I'd say it was just age, but she's so regular i'm not sure what to make of the other two.

any thoughts?

I'm no chicken expert, but mine do the same thing here! I've got a couple "twins" if you will, and one will lay consistently, and the other, not so much. I wish I knew why myself. Someone on here probably has a closer answer for you.

In my experience, it could be several reasons:
- the stress of the changed location etc can make them take a laying break
- the age of the hens (any idea about their age?)
- it being winter (i.e. daylight hours, temperature)
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom