Only one fertile...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by nhblond, Jun 6, 2011.

1. nhblond

nhblond Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    So I bought my Red Golden pheasants last winter some time. Well, we started getting eggs from the hens recently. They laid a total of about 6-7 eggs. I ended up with three eggs in the incubator, and I have been candling them. Well, out of the three eggs there is only one that is definitely fertile. As a matter of fact when I candled it this morning, I actually saw movement!!!
    So, here's the dilemma...... how do I care for just one lonely chick when it hatches? I don't have the heart to abandon it now, knowing that it is in the bator growing. I am worried about just having one chick. And when you look online to buy, you have to buy a whole lotta chicks, which is not what I want.

Any suggestions?????

2. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    will you have more hatching in a short time?
    If so I would put a stuffed animal in the brooder untill the next batch hatches.
    When our Silvers are laying we hatch out some weekly and combine 2 weeks of hatches in a brooder

3. nhblond

nhblond Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    No, I don't have any more to hatch.

So...... this is what I have done (right or wrong).

I collected 10 eggs from my Button Quail and have added them to the incubator. They should hatch at the same time as the pheasant egg. I don't know what will come of this, but I hadn't heard anything back on here, and wasn't sure what direction to take.....

4. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    that sound like a good choice to me
    I would watch close to make sure the bottons don't get trompled!

5. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    No,not a good idea with the buttons.The pheasant will definely kill them as they are smaller,weather he wants a roommate or not,they are not th answer.Is their anyone near you that has pheasant chicks?At your local grain store,tractor supply,anyone?Nhblond,is that New Hampshire?If so,where abouts are you?
    In N.H.,Tony.

6. SlowMoneyFarm

SlowMoneyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Nauvoo
    I had 1 live of 2 - and 9 eggs that I finally gave up on today (It's been a month - turns out there was yolk in them but no development). I don't have a choice but to temporarily put it with a few chicks - they started hatching when it was 4 days. Pheasant's now a week - will be pulling it out as soon as I can find a place to put it. [​IMG]

How to get any more - I don't see that happening this year so it'll be a lonely pheasant. And I can't afford to put $20/week/month in the compost bin with no idea what went wrong, how to fix it or ???? Very frustrating - perhaps why more don't raise 'em. [​IMG]

7. pheasantfreak

pheasantfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Preston, idaho
    i had the same problem i just went and bought a couple of baby chickens the same size

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by