Only one hen laying?

weenie007

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
I got 10 RIRs 2 1/2 weeks ago they are all 10 month old. One hen layed 5 days ago and has layed everyday since the but no one else has layed yet. Is this normal? When should I be expecting everyone else to lay? I am getting very ancy. I would liek to get more than 1 egg a day from 10 hens.

I think that's normal,just give them tie time and they will lay.I have 6 RIR 1 Domonieker 5 Silver laced wyndott and only one started laying all of them have the same age almost 6 mnths and 1 week.
god luck

My first hen to lay did so for a week before she was joined by two of her sisters. Now more and more are laying every day.
Give them time. Soon they'll all want to be the first to get a nest box.

My new hen took a little over a month to get used to us and start to lay. She laid six eggs and then stopped for over a month! They will all get into the hang of things soon
big_smile.png

Thank you all for your help. It's frustrating only getting 1 egg from 10 hens.

Yeah I've had some of the same stories here.

I bought some Ameraucanas about a month ago. Well it took a few weeks and the buff and RIR started laying and now lay faithfully. This was after I took the mean black one out. She was picking on the other two. Anyway the black one is with another rooster as a pair. She laid one blue egg out free ranging. Since I didn't find it right away and decided I didn't want to easter egg hunt for the eggs, I decided to keep her up. She has not laid another egg since!

My blue hens have been here a little shorter time than the Ameraucanas. About 3 weeks or more though. I have 3 of them. First day got 2 eggs, second day 3 and then just 1 from then on. Two stopped laying altogether, the third lays about every 3 days and takes a day off. She actually laid yesterday which was her 4th day in a row though. I'm waiting on the others to start back up.

Well a couple of my hens combs are getting redder everyday so I think they will start laying soon. I'm crossing my fingers.

Back
Top Bottom