Only one hen left

Ek22

Hatching
Dec 21, 2022
Hello,
I wanted to come on here today to ask a question.
I have a 8 year old hen. She has been on her own for over a year now. I was told by someone else with chickens that we shouldn’t try rehoming her to another flock because of her age. However, I am unsure if that is actually the case so I wanted to see with you guys.
I am at university and because she is at my family home, she doesn’t get the attention she deserves. Also because of this I am unable to get more chickens. She gets snacks most days but not a lot of other attention. I just can’t imagine it’s great, however, she still runs out when you go to give her snacks, and takes dirt baths.
I love her, but I really want what’s best.
Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance.
:)

Eight is pretty old but I think she can still have a fulfilling few years with a new flock, as long as the flock temperament is similar to hers. I would try to rehome her if I were you, rather than have her be alone for the rest of her life.

Hard to say. Given her age and the fact that she's been on her own for a year, she may not be very receptive to a new flock and may struggle with being rehomed. Normally I would say she'd be fine if someone could spend a little bit of time with her each day, that would help with any loneliness issues. But if no one has the time to do so, it may be best to see if you can find someone with a small flock that would take her in.

Eight is pretty old but I think she can still have a fulfilling few years with a new flock, as long as the flock temperament is similar to hers. I would try to rehome her if I were you, rather than have her be alone for the rest of her life.
Hello, thank you so much for the response. I’ve had her all her life, and love her so much but I want what’s best for her so I really appreciate the advice. I’ll see if there are any chicken people in my area.

Hard to say. Given her age and the fact that she's been on her own for a year, she may not be very receptive to a new flock and may struggle with being rehomed. Normally I would say she'd be fine if someone could spend a little bit of time with her each day, that would help with any loneliness issues. But if no one has the time to do so, it may be best to see if you can find someone with a small flock that would take her in.
Hello, thanks for the reply! Yes I wish someone could spend time with her. It’s only my mother at the house and she won’t go out and hang with her everyday, only give her snacks. And I usually live a few hours away. I will look around for someone in the area. Thank you!

Where are you located? You might try posting in the "Animals for Rehoming" section here on BYC to find the appropriate home for her. I have a special needs 8 y.o. Dominique right now who gets hand feedings a few times a day. Luckily I have the ability to spend extra time at my barn in these circumstances.

Where are you located? You might try posting in the "Animals for Rehoming" section here on BYC to find the appropriate home for her. I have a special needs 8 y.o. Dominique right now who gets hand feedings a few times a day. Luckily I have the ability to spend extra time at my barn in these circumstances.
Hello, yes I wish she could get that sort of attention. That is a good idea! I am located in Oregon.

Back
Top Bottom