1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Only one with pasty butt?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenkassai, Jun 10, 2011.

1. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    So my "day"-olds have integrated very nicely with the "week"-olds. Everyone seems to be doing great and they are acting like one big (not really big, only 7 [​IMG] ) group instead of the "big" chicks and the "little" chicks. However, there is ONE of the new group (they are now 5 day olds), who seems to have an issue with pasty butt. Not all the time, just every so often. I've only had to clean her two or maybe three times, and not every day. What could be causing that one chick to have the problem? She seems to be a tad more "quiet" than the rest, like the last to start running around, but she does eat and drink normally and otherwise seems great. Is there anything I can do to help her other than watch her and clean her when there is a problem?

These little girls are SO fun!!! Even my reluctant hubby admits how cute they are and he will comment about some funny thing he's seen them do. I can't believe how fast they are growing! The girls just over a week have feathers on their wings, feathers starting to come out on their tails, and love to try their wings out!

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Usually stress is the cause of pasty butt. I've had 3 chicks out of 8 have pasty butt when I brought them home. My little bantam had it the longest of all three. She was the smallest chick of everyone and she knew it. My d'uccle bantam went after everybody and picked on them for the first month in the brooder. Now my bantam is hiding behind everybody for protection of the big world out in the coop. I'm pretty sure she is still stressed out.

3. MattMansChickens

MattMansChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Canada
    i have 30 chicks, 15 white leghorns and 15 isa browns and i cant tell whick get pasty butt but ive treated it about 8 times. exept its hard. there are some with a tiny spot of poo on their rear, is this pasty butt? otherwise they are fine. can pasty butt kill chicks, what are the effects?

4. Padfoot417

Padfoot417 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:If a pasted up vent is left untreated this can definitely kill a chick.After all she needs to relieve herself,and a water tight death would be a pitiful end to such a short life...

5. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    When cleaning off the poo, once it's gone a great tip I got from here on BYC is take a q tip and get a little olive oil on it. Gently apply this around the vent feathers and it'll keep the poo from sticking.

6. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Out of 12 I had one with pasty butt. I cleaned her twice and then put oil on her (she didn't like that) and no problems after that. I think she hated the oil so much she cleaned up her own butt after that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by