Only two hens

Like someone else has said, stay away from the "production" breeds like ISAs, Golden Comets, Sex Links, etc. if you want them for pets. They are great chickens but unfortunately their genetics cause them to have reproductive issues after year 2. It's almost inevitable.

Someone else suggested a few breeds (RIR, Orpington, Australorp) and those are excellent choices. I also want to add Barred Rock, Jersey Giant, and Salmon Faverolles. I've found those to be healthy breeds so far. They lay slightly fewer eggs than your ISAs, but because of that it's easier on their reproductive system and they typically live a little longer. :)

Sorry for your loss and best of luck moving forward!

Like someone else has said, stay away from the "production" breeds like ISAs, Golden Comets, Sex Links, etc. if you want them for pets. They are great chickens but unfortunately their genetics cause them to have reproductive issues after year 2. It's almost inevitable.
The production types can be good pets while they are alive, and they certainly do lay more eggs during their first year or two, but yes they will tend to have a shorter lifespan. That matters more to some people than others, even among people who consider their chickens pets.

If length of healthy life is important, I agree that other breeds would be better choices.

Almost any breeds would be fine. I agree to stick with heritage breeds if you prioritize pets over eggs. As a generalization, RIRs may be more aggressive to other breeds, Polish and Silkies may get picked on by other birds (because of their appearance), Mediterranean breeds (Fayoumi, Buttercups) may be more flighty/skittish.

Any suggestions on type to find? Mostly, these are just pets to me. Would want them to get along with Bella and Danni.
Barred or white Rocks and Easter Eggers are a couple of my personal favorites.

Speckled Sussex are pretty nice.

One comparison chart to see some of the breeds, many are not on here.. Still try to pick ones that will do well in YOUR location..

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html
Local feed stores is a good place to check..

While I appreciate that not everyone has the same experiences the following is how mine differs.

I have black sex links and California Whites as well as "blue rock". Mine are ALL over 5 now and doing very well.
I lost 1 black sex link a couple months ago. She was also over 5. That 1 is the only one of mine to pass so far.

I think 5 years and counting with no health issues is pretty darn good.

That said they are more dominant in my mixed flock.

As a pet I like them but know they may not be for everyone.

My chicken keeper life began when a stray chicken appeared in my pool. The next year I got 2 chicks and 2 years later I got 2 more chicks. In December 22 one of the 2nd batch died & in Jan the original stray died. All that being said my stray was a lap chicken until she got the 2 friends who taught her to beca chicken & she raised them well. If you just keep the one be sure to spend lots of time being her friend so she has someone to chat with & who cares about her.

My first time at the farm store, I ended up with 3 roosters! Had to give them away. That’s why I thought about ordering. I have another question that maybe you experienced people will be able to help. I’ve read here that the chickens should have so much percentage of chicken feed to be healthy. Mine free range everyday so how can I make sure they eat enough of their good food before they go outside??

My first time at the farm store, I ended up with 3 roosters! Had to give them away. That’s why I thought about ordering.
I think you are more likely to get the right chicks by ordering, because there are fewer chances for them to accidentally get in the wrong bin or mis-labeled.

I have another question that maybe you experienced people will be able to help. I’ve read here that the chickens should have so much percentage of chicken feed to be healthy. Mine free range everyday so how can I make sure they eat enough of their good food before they go outside??
The guidelines about what percent chicken food they should eat are meant to avoid problems in almost all cases, no matter what other things are being offered, and without trusting the chickens to self-limit anything. There are many cases when a chicken can eat more than x% other things and be healthy.

Free-ranging chickens usually do fine if they are free to eat the purchased feed whenever they want to. They have some ability to choose a balanced combination of bugs, worms, grass, other greens, seeds from plants, and so forth.

Limiting treats matters more when the chickens live in a coop and a bare run, where the only things they can eat are what the person offers them. It also seems to be more of an issue when the person gives just a limited set of "treats" (like scratch grains and mealworms), and less of a problem when the chickens are offered a wider selection of things they can eat.

Back
Top Bottom