Only two now

missmychicks

Songster
12 Years
May 10, 2011
After we lost our hen this weekend I am thinking of getting two hens, but the only thing I am finding is from a fellow chicken owner. I a, concerned about introducing disease, mites etc into our coop/run. What if anything dio you suggest to ask/look for?

One of the best thing to do is when you get the new birds, is to quarantine them for 30 days. In those 30 days you can usually tell if they have an issue that is just appearing or if they happen to have had mites you didn’t see. Then you can easily treat them with whatever is needed.
You can also ask to get new photos of the birds before you do end up buying them.

I have asked for a photo, hopefully they will send one today. Since we have limited space, I guess we would put them in the garage for the 30 days? Any tips for "garaging" two 6 month old chickens?

I have asked for a photo, hopefully they will send one today. Since we have limited space, I guess we would put them in the garage for the 30 days? Any tips for "garaging" two 6 month old chickens?
Make sure you keep them in the same crate, only if they don't peck each other! I think that would probably help with them being a little more calm in a different place

Back
Top Bottom