Oops Chicken Math got me again!

Nev
To be fair it didn't actually get me it got husband.

I'm driving 2.5hrs to get ducklings and return a cockerel to our breeder when husband calls and says he's just realised by returning one of our roos we now have 13 chickens and that's not a number he likes so I better get chickens too.

He didn't have to tell me twice! I'd already seen the breeder had Buff Orpington chicks so I was sold.

A few problems first, this may mean more roos that I'll have to return, second he only had one buff so you know this is going to be a boy ;) thirdly my limit was 15.....I had to get 3 as a minimum. Being he only had one buff this meant I have 2 speckled Sussex. Which I know nothing about!

If I have 3 roos I may cry 😂 I can't wait till we move to the country and then I will have a bachelor pad. Taking our beautiful boy back today was devastating :( he was such a character.
heard of a breeder who takes back cockerels. What does the breeder do with them?

Nev

heard of a breeder who takes back cockerels. What does the breeder do with them?
He sells cockerels separately but he has a boys only pen for the ones he doesn't sell, our little guy joined another boy that was hatched at the same time, they seemed happy. He said he'll keep them separate for now and if they don't sell when they are old enough they join the bachelor pad, which had about 10-15 males in or join his breeding programme.

I know poor guy had hurt his back so he's shuffling like an old man but he won't stop! He has started to put up a fence to cut the garden in half so me can safely have the dogs one side and poultry the other.

I'd love to see your geese, I think our neighbours would have something to say if we add any more additions to our garden 😂
My goodness, I hope he recovers soon! Bless him twice over.

Those vanilla neighbors must learn. ;)

I don't currently have a picture, I'll have to get some, but if you check the BYC Summer Fair Other Poultry contest, there's a few pics ont here.

I live in North Dakota, and the state wants to be sure that the native bird population isn't compromised, biodiversity-wise. Similar to what Australia does. So I have to keep my quail, which isn't a native variety, confined so that they don't get out and then multiplying to numbers that overwhelm the native birds' environment that it doesn't allow enough for all the birds to survive.

Ah, ok that makes sense, even here we have seen this with squirrels. Red squirrels are native, grey are not...I've never seen a red squirrel but I've seen hundreds of grey ones. I think grey ones were bought over from America.

Also parakeets aren't native to England but in our area they are everywhere, not sure if they've had any impact on the native birds but there are a few stories on how they've ended up here. One is there was an aviary in a local park and when it closed they just released the birds. Another is lots of people in London had them for pets but when they got bored of them they released them and they've flown down to our warm area. Who knows!

Back
Top Bottom