Oops! Egg laying woes..

It may be the same. I have seen the other brown egg layer pullet in the nest box and she lays a hard shell. I am not 100% sure tho.
Might be good to isolate your crop problem bird to rule her out, or confirm, as the funky egg dropper...and more easily observe and treat her.

I use a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so you can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Those folding dog crates are so useful for chickens. I have 3 of them now, one of the bigger 4’ ones and two of the next size down I don’t have one of the 24” models but I use them for observation as aart mentions to sick chickens even broody’s to nest in or a broody breaker well worth the money. Sometimes you can catch them on sale at chewy.com

Might be good to isolate your crop problem bird to rule her out, or confirm, as the funky egg dropper...and more easily observe and treat her.

I use a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so you can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.
I will do this. I treated all with Corid and the crop problem went away after the first dose. But this is also the bird that has the wing deformities that I posted about a while back. I will update this thread when I find out more information.

Also, yesterday I felt her pelvic bones and I could only fit 1 1/2 fingers but today its a little over 2 fingers. She has never squat like the others so I wasn’t sure if it could be her laying yet.

Update. It has been confirmed that the one laying the soft eggs is the bird in question above. I have given her toasted egg shells daily and I gave her 1/2 a 600 hundred mlg calcium tablet. Just once because I was unsure about the dosage for that. This morning I got another softie. This one is frozen solid but other than being soft shelled, it looks normal inside. She appears to be the bottom of pecking order and is very sweet so she gets chased around but so do the other "littles" and the lay in the nest boxes with no problems. Can someone please tell me the dose for human calcium?

ED7DD854-4C5A-40CA-AA83-C0AF660AC63B.jpeg
Here's the pic of the frozen soft shell egg

Back
Top Bottom