1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Bought a less than 1/2 built coop from a guy for the what he paid for the lumber. While he was building a coon got in to his holding area and ate the chicks. No more chicken trauma for them.

We had to take the oversized really heavy roof off to transport it. Unfortunately it was too heavy for the long bouncy trip home.

[​IMG]

Fortunately I've had a LOT of practice at salvaging and redoing so I was able to fix it. I shortened it and lessened the extremely sharp pitch of the roof. Now we need some brawny friends to help haul it around the house to our chicken yard. Once it's in it's permanent place we can put the roof back on and side it.

[​IMG]

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    As big as the roof looks compared to the truck, I'd say it's no wonder it didn't make the trip well...
    Looking forward to seeing the finished pics!

3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Yeah, he really didn't know what he was doing. He wasn't reinforcing enough so with that heavy roof it might have pancaked during a good rain and wind storm. He had one nail or screw at each corner, that was it and I don't think he meant to ut in more. After I got it straightened and true again I went around and ut in a bunch more nails and screws to hold everything in place.

If the weather good next weekend I will probably have my husband help me lay it on it's side so I can reinforce the legs and water seal the bottom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by