OOPS no water!

ncrugger

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 21, 2013
Went away for a long weekend and when I got back, I discovered that the guy who was supposed to be watching my girls never showed up. They missed me terribly. They were sitting on stacks of eggs and were not getting their treats in the mornings. Worst of it, they had run out of water from the time I had filled them up on Thursday. I figure they were dry at least one full day, maybe two. They were not happy with me. Now egg production has decreased. Did maybe the shock of being without water disrupt their laying cycle or could it be something else? They are all healthy looking and eating like they should, they don't appear to have dropped weight, and are taking water well. Their eyes and combs have healthy color, no signs of sickness or weakness at all. We love our girls and hope all is well. Any help?

NC Rugger

Stress will cause a drop in egg production.

This is one thing that just makes me
somad.gif
he.gif
rant.gif

I've chicken-sat for family friends before and they asked me to come over at certain times and then a family of their sons friend was suppose to check on them at other times. And these people were gone for weeks. I ended up taking care of them every morning and every night and the ONLY time I saw the other people there was the day before the owners got back. Being there twice a day I could tell that no one else had ever came.

I'm sorry you ended up with a crappy chicken sitter and I hope your flock suffers no harm from their neglect!

Last edited:
Oh, I would be FUMING and "the guy" would need to find a really good hiding spot. I'm glad it was a just a weekend away!

If they seem healthy now, I would bet the production drop is due to stress.

Thanks, I'm hoping that's all it is. I was quite irritated when I saw the empty water can, but I have since purchased a third watering can for them and they are quite happy. They were especially happy with the big box of meal worms I brought in this morning. They are jumping up into my arms for treats, so I'm pretty sure we're back on good terms. The college kid who was working for us this summer has finished his work and is heading back to college tomorrow. He won't be working for us next summer.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom