Oops!!

duckmama84

Chirping
Apr 17, 2016
Mechanicsville, Virginia
So, I have 5mo old Pekins and neither have a curled tail, and I -thought- they sounded the same, but I'm starting to think we might have a male and female. One of them started to lay eggs 6 days ago. We cracked one open today bc my fiancé started to worry we might have a boy and a girl, and ... well, is thi egg, or was it, fertilized?

Or an I freaking out for no reason? First time duck mama, so I'm a little panicked lol.

LOL
There isn't really a way to tell if an egg is fertilized when you crack it. You have to incubate and candle at intervals and yadda yadda...
The yolk is anchored to the shell by these membranes that snap when you crack the shell. Its a common misconception and lots of people are fooled. Don't worry about it
wink.png

Edit:

eggcrosssection.GIF

Last edited:
Whew, okay that makes me feel a lot better. We have four more eggs, but theyve been sitting on our counter for a few days. She didnt lay today, but we also just moved them into a new area, so maybe thats why? Should I incubate and rotate the next egg to see, or let her keep it?

I'm sorry but I don't understand. Let who keep it?
Sometimes ducks will skip a day or to, nothing to worry to much about.
And the eggs on the counter are good as long as they've been laid within a week(very conservative estimate. They probably keep a lot longer but we refrigerate ours.).
As for incubating, if you have only girls(which it sounds like, if they're both the same age and the other one doesn't have a curly tail, then they are both females) incubating them is useless.

Back
Top Bottom