Oozing Vent...sick chicken?

Paintedhorsegirl

Songster
8 Years
Mar 23, 2011
One of my hens has been having issues for about a week now..I first noticed it last tuesday that her vent seemed really bloody and missing a few feathers. I brought her to my vet, they dont usually see chickens and didnt really have a clue. The vet thought maybe there was an egg stuck so she washed the hens bottom and she got in there and pulled an egg out. It had a really soft shell and the vet assumed that that was the problem and then gave the hen a shot for pain and to help it relax. Its vent was hanging out from all the pushing, the vet put it back in. I brought my hen home, seperated her from the flock and kept her in the dark and cut her off from the layer pellet to give her time to heal. As of friday she was still having issues, acting fine but still oozing a lot of white discharge....On Sunday I let her go back with the other hens because seperation didnt seem to make a difference. Im not sure what to do next, has anybody ever had this happen? How can i get her better? Any ideas what is going on?

They are all on layer pellet and have free choice oyster shell....can I get antibiotics for a chicken at a local store or is that something I need to go back to the vet for?

go get teramycin at a feed store. out a teaspoon in a quart waterer for 10 days. make a new solution everyday. the colsapsed vent is from the egg inside of here. do a search on prolapsed vent , then one on soft internal egg. search bar is up in the blue area next to rules & my page.
how does her poo look? does she have worms? go check out her poo, seriously gross but she might need a dewormer also. all inexpensive......

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom