OPAL OR BLUE Old English Game Bantams????

Looks like you've got an Opal, the second one could be Self-Blue (if she's actually more of a blue color, she looks brown in the photo) but I think it's more likely some variety of Dun or Fawn (I don't know the names for all of them, I don't have much experience in that color), and a Splash. Very nice looking birds too!

opal
dun
splash

in that order. The dun is a dun, she's possitively not a self blue, they are a very pale sky blue looking color. Kinda like that splash hen but with out all the splash markings
The opal is a pretty rare color, very few have those so be proud of it.

dun is what is most commonly called chocolate, though it isnt true chocolate. There are only 1 or 2 breeds in the US that have true chocolate in them, orps and seramas are the only 2 I can call right off. All others being called chocolate are actually just duns. Chocolate breeds true, dun doesnt. It's kinda like lavender (self blue) verses blue.
The blue like dun can make 3 colors, blue, splash and black. In dun it's dun (brown) black and khaki

So no, the second hen is a spalsh blue ( being is has 2 doses of blue in it) Only blue based birds can make this color. Has to be blue to blue, or splash to splash, or splash to blue. That's the only way to get it

Last edited:
Quote:
No, shes from blues if she were to have been from Chocolate then she would have been khaki which is more of a tan color.

Last edited:
Yeah, she definately has some chocolate or dunn or somethin. It makes me wonder about the babies all being black though as if you were breeding lavs to blacks and getting blacks and split blacks. I'm surprised those two together would make all black. Course they could change. I know nothing about OEG genetics and from what I hear is complicated....Maybe doesn't work the same as all my other birds. HA! Just interesting!
lol.png

Quote:
Hey, thanks much for your input. I'm from Hahira too!! North Ga now. Anyhoo, So if she is maybe a dun then maybe it would make sense she's having black chicks. Then my next thought is where does the Opal roo come in. Wonder if these black babies bred back together would make something. If not, I don't really know why I would be keeping and breeding. May just keep the babie and breed back together and see what happens. Any thoughts. Thanks:/

Not, sure what color the roo. is, but I have some pullets that look like him that came from my choc./dunn Old English Game and blue is some of the colors you get in breeding them..I was told that you get your best ones if you breed them (choc. to a black), but I love get all kinds of colors...Next years breeding pen will be a black rooster and a choc./dunn rooster over light blue, choc.,black hens and pullets...

Back
Top Bottom