Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Years ago my folks let me develop an addiction that has become vital to my very existence. In the intervening years since leaving their home I have taken it to heights they could have never imagined. In fact in the years since my retirement it seems to consume a major portion of my efforts.

Since any addiction can become expensive, the best way to reduce costs is by both growing your own and processing it yourself. Besides the cost reduction you have the added benefit of knowing that the content and quality exceeds that normally supplied by dealers.

Food. Yep, that's my addiction. I like to eat good food. I'm not talking about expensive and exotic things. Just simple, basic high quality food.

Today before the sun became unbearable, I was weeding the garden and pruning the tomatoes. This year I am suspending the vines from an overhead wire to making picking easier so part of the time was spent tying them off.

Just before coming inside for the afternoon I picked the ripe wild blackberries that grow along the edges of the field. The berries are very small but the flavor is much better that any domestic berry you can find. I've been picking for several days and I may have finally have enough to make a patch of jelly.

When it comes to venison, I usually always take my limit and David will take a couple as well. When you figure that most processors charge $75 that adds up to a lot of money. Also I have yet to find a processor that processes the animal with the same care that I do. If they did the cost would be astronomical.

I probably have processed 400 deer and several years ago I even appeared on a television show demonstrating the method I use. I spend a great deal of time trimming the inedible parts from the meat that are normally ground by the processors. Sinew and membrane was used by the Indians for sewing thread so it's my position that it is something I don't want to eat.

It's often said that you should never watch sausage being made. Scrap meat constitutes the majority of the product and processors make it in 100 lb batches. If you have them make sausage for you the meat from your animal will be added to the meat from another hunters deer. The quality of the venison your meat is added to may be far less in quality than yours. Also it will contain the inedible portions of the deer that the processors fail to remove.

Since my family loves many varieties of sausage, I decided the best way to have great tasting quality product was to make my own. The same holds true for the brined meats like pastrami and corned beef. Late fall and early winter the smell of smoking meat fills the air in my neighborhood.

Last edited:
@Opa
Hmm. If you have a video of the television show you did, would love to see that.

There is no way humanly possible I could find the time to process my meat with my & DH's work schedules. Heck, I'm having enough trouble this year keeping up with my garden & chickens getting up for work @0300; leaving @ 0430 & getting home @1630. Not to mention all the other stuff a household needs done!

And, in my current situation, the price / lb is still way more cost effective than purchasing at store (& of course WAY healthier!)

I will say, I have spent time at our processor's actually assisting in the processing. I was curious how my food was being prepared AND how I was assured it was MY deer I was getting back (hunter sticks, aside... & we actually do make our own sausage) was happy with what I saw.

Now as for smoked meats...I can attest to the OMG smoked meat prepared by Opa...at least chicken. I wouldn't last a minute in your neighborhood during your smoking process.

All in all, I am basically new to this whole growing, raising, hunting my food...only been 5 years since I could spell "hunt", "garden", "canning/preserving" & 1 year for the whole chicken gig.

I'm thinking once I retire I may be able to expand my "self-sustainability" & maybe tackle processing my own meat!

Last edited:
@Opa
Hmm. If you have a video of the television show you did, would love to see that.
The television show was Fred Trost's Michigan Outdoors way back in 1984. Unfortunately I never got a copy of what was a two part feature. The one thing I emphasized was you can't do it wrong. Any part you don't cut off will be on the next piece you cut. Follow the muscle groups and you can't go wrong.

I've got some peppered bacon in the freezer and just as soon as the garden produces some ripe tomatoes I'll thaw it out and may eat BLTs every day for a week.

Last edited:
droolin.gif
BLTs with home grown tomatoes are the best!!

Love BLT's. We've been eating them for three weeks now..not everyday, but I could eat them everyday. Getting lots of tomatoes from the garden.

Spent the majority of the day at my old friend's farm cutting dead wood from the bushes that line the driveway.. They're some kind of hedge but they haven't been maintained in several years. Plus there are several nice pine trees that as many species of pines do the lower branched die off so they have need to be trimmed as well. Today was the 4th day I worked on it and it is starting to look pretty nice but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes another 2 days.

Coming home today and listening to the radio I heard Tim McGraw's latest song, "Back at Mama's". Wonderful sentiment about going back where things are simpler and less hectic. Got me to thinking that with Granny living with us if I go to Mama's I'd still be home.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom