Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Hi all, back from my birthday weekend.
smile.png

Hope everything is going well.

Mags, I'm sure your had a nice getaway. Anytime you can get away from the daily grind is nice.

I made an egg custard rice pudding for dessert. Anybody care for some?

10233_eating_mouth_full.gif

Last edited:
Big Dog Opa, Ladt Orpy once again is threating to throw toilet brushes at the FatOne. You would think that all the wildfires burning that wildweed and smoking up the air that she would mello out but No. I cant fight her tonight cause Im tired as a one legged man in a but kicking contest. You have a great day my frind.

Evening everyone. Hope you all had a wonderful day today.
I was very skeptical of this new puppy, had some reservations and wasn't sure I was ready to let him into my heart-he really hasn't given me any choice. I told my husband I was going to call him Velcro because he is wherever I am and if he can't see me, he cries. He isn't going to accept not being loved. DH is really taken with him.
Finally got all of my chicks into their respective new homes today. Whew-no more lonely single chick in the house!
Opa I apologize if you've already said this, but have you started incubating yet or has taking care of the new Welsummer chicks curbed the incubating itch? DH made me take a pic of the emu egg you carved so I could email it to his job-he is so impressed he wants to show everyone he works with.
Maggie I'm going to try to get the Sumatra eggs out to you this week-last week was not great for me. I should be getting my BBS Sumatra eggs this week. Anxious to see what I get out of those.
Insiderart thank you for the kind remark about my new puppy-he really is awfully cute.
YakLady and Highlander-you are both such sweet, thoughtful people. I appreciate your kind words.
Goodnight to everyone! Have a wonderful day tomorrow.

Morning sure came much quicker than I would have liked. Spent most of the night coughing and this morning my chest feels like someone tap danced on it. Go the entire winter without getting sick and now that the weather is starting to get nicer I've got to go and catch something.

Just went out and check the birds and thelive trap. Birds are fine and the trap was empty. I'm glad it was because I hate killing anything that I'm not going to eat. I've eaten coon on many occassions but don't particularily care for them. Years ago I would trap them with a had a market for both the carcass and the pelt but sadly neither are available to be today. The decline in the fur market has contributed to there be more coon today then there has ever been in history. Raccoons are responsible for the upswing in the number of reported cases of canine parvo virus.

Wonder if my darlin' daughter had a nice time at the beach? After the winter that she has endured she certainly is due some nice weather.

Shelia, I'm glad that you and DH have enjoyed the egg. I certainly enjoyed carving on it. I've now got to decide what I will carve on the next one. It sure is a unique experience carving them, unlike anything I have ever attempted.

At 330pm the governor of West Virginia has asked for a national moment of silence to honor those lost in the tragic mine accident. That's a wonderful gesture but I hope people will remember the miners families often in their prayers. The poor folks certainly have a load to bear. When something like this occurs I hope that many people are reminded of just how brief life can be and make a greater effort to ensure that they stay paid up, prayed up, and ready to go up.

Sorry you are sick Sam, hope you feel better soon.
hugs.gif

My two little 'uns are home sick too and feeling very sorry for themselves. Must be something in the air.
sad.png

Sat around most of the morning blowing my nose and feeling sorry for myself. Decided if I did something productive I'd feel better. Wrong. Went out and worked on removing dirt for the large fowl run. The birds were happy to see me as every other shovel exposed earthworms. Cut down about 3 inches and moved that dirt to the garden. The started hauling sand from a vein at the back of the property. Filled a small trailer and shoveled that into the run. Need about 3 more to bring the sand to the level I need but I ran out of steam.
I did take time out to make a small modification in the nest box. The back curtain partition needed to be slightly higher to allow the super jumbo eggs to roll under so I did manage to get that done. I keep track of the number of eggs that the hens have laid so I can determine if the cost has dropped below $100 a dozen. As of tonight they have laid 1000 eggs.

Opa, you are right, it was nice to get away for a bit. We generally go every other weekend. It is what keeps me sane for the most part! I love it out at the family house.
Sorry you are not feeling well.
sad.png

Sheila, no hurry.
smile.png
BBS Sumatras? That should be interesting for you! I have only ever seen the black ones.
One thing happened when we got back that REALLY brought home to me that Max WILL NOT let just anyone in the house. My oldest daughter brought us back and was the first one through the door. Max wouldnt let her proceed past the door...until he saw me. Then his tail started wagging and he was okay with it.
I have someone he knows quite well come in and let him out while we are gone. He will tolerate her at least but wont make friends.
If we are gone longer than a night or two, I take him along.
With everything we have gone through and are going through in this town, I am glad to have him.
LOL, my daughter says she feels sorry for anyone who comes in here....I would be fighting(nothing like a mother defending a child) she would be in on it(she would never sit back and watch!) and Max would defend us with every ounce of his being.
smile.png

Oh and I cannot forget the dachshunds!! They would be doing their best to trip him up.
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom