Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Today I went to a fellow BYCer's house to end what had become a life of suffering for a pet hen turkey. This bird had grown so large she could no longer stand. I felt bad for our friend. It's never easy to let go of a pet that you have grown attached to, even when rational tells you that you are doing the right thing. It was 50 miles each way but how could I not go to her aid. While I may no longer play the role of knight, I still believe in the values of chivalry. When a lady asks for your help you must do all in your power to oblige.
I dispatched the bird as quickly as possible, placed it in a large plastic bag and took it to my truck so she wouldn't have to see it. When I got home I had to weigh it. I had guessed that it would go at least 35 pounds and the scale read 36. The wild turkey season opens tomorrow and all the way home I kept wondering if I were stopped would I be able to convince a DNR officer that it was in fact a domesticated bird. Based upon some of the citations I've heard of the DNR writing I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't tell a broad breasted bronze from a wild Eastern.

Thank you so much for coming, Sam. And you handled everything so discreatly. I know your friend appreciated it, very much so. It was so hard on her, yet you did it in a way that it didn't make her feel worse for having to do it. It was great visiting with you, too. You are a man with a big warm heart. You are a true friend.
hugs.gif

Morning folks.

Doug did a lot of work on the old pump house. He got roosts up, and a pop door. He ciphered on how exactly to do the pop door, but boy did he do an awesome job. It's air tight, and no way anything can open it without a doctorate degree.
lol.png

He managed to get in 3 of the 6 posts for the pen area off of it. There are a lot huge rocks, and somehow he got one loose enough to get out to get a post in. Then he figured there was still some more light left to try and get a 4th post in, but he hit rock again.
So, we will be spending tonight when he gets home trying to dig out another possibly huge rock. Then he has to construct a gate of some sort.

The old pump house will be used for Cass' bantams, but for now I'll be putting some young roosters in there to test it out. Our Isa hen Tina, surpervisied the whole process, and while the dirt was flying, she ate grubs.
gig.gif
I kept telling her this is a hard hat zone, no chickens allowed, but she didn't care. She wanted grubs.

Bluemoon

Good day all,

Hope everyone is well or getting well, and happy!

I spent yesterday afternoon rearranging birds, more to do today. Then more jungle clearing to fence an area for the ducks. Goldie has been off and on the eggs she's brooding. If I can get her to finally settle down I'll slip some fresh ones under her because these have been round and round. She is in a separate cage now, with food and water, mad as heck at me. Hissing, pecking and calling me all sorts of names!
smile.png

I posted a pic of myself and some azaleas yesterday, if anyone is interested.
lol.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=328465

Good Morning!

Crazy weekend is over but the crazy week begins! I am trying to convince the director of the musical Music Man that my daughter is in and I am set dress and paint for, to allow 3 chickens on stage during the pick-a-little song. It would be perfect and the chickens would do a great job too! My daughter has them tame and they follow anyone with a bucket
smile.png

Off to get some more work done!

Sarah

Quote:
Hi to you too Sally! .....Just escaped from neath the rock called WORK.....but only for a moment!

Sounds like everone has been busy lately.

frow.gif
Hi everybody
frow.gif

....anyone seen my haggis?.....

Hey all!!

Easttxchick, lol! The lost snakes probably found a way outside. I was going to tell hubby we need to move second sons out and into the family room so he can go through it. I swear if he could of brought a jeep home part by part from Iraq he would of! He has a ton of stuff from there. Maybe we can find a snake or 2!

You guys won't believe what I found on my front porch! I huge dead rat! My sweet lil cat Sam is a true killer. He has gotten mice, birds, moles but never a rat this big. I am so proud of him! He was next to it meowing to come back in. BTW ~ Sam is just lazy. He could of come around to the back of the house and gone through the dog door to come in but knows I leave first thing in the morning. I have been putting the chicks outside when it is warm in the front yard. Do you think the rat was attracted to food the chicks left on the ground? I have never left food out overnight. I am really proud of Sam.
smile.png

To all the sickie, I hope you get well soon!!

editted to add, I love that picture of you ranchhand!!!!!! lol
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Glad to hear you're doing better Opa and Granny sounds like she's getting better too. I hope that cold stuff doesn't come this way......
hide.gif
I gotta be careful about that. I bought lots of sanitizer and wipes, so far so good. It's the allergies from the pollen that's getting to me.....but that's only temporary. I'll be wiping up green powder that blows into the house for a couple of weeks, that gets me started on spring cleaning.

frow.gif
everyone and to the newbies as well!

Math problem: I have 5 chickens, 2 are "retired" from egg laying. One of the reitred hens lays the occasional white egg, the others are brown egglayers. Since January my 3 younger hens have layed their brown eggs daily. So I get 3 eggs a day. Mostly every day. Yesterday I found 6 brown eggs in the nest !! What? This happened a couple of weeks ago too, and my first thought was "maybe I forgot to collect the eggs from the day before" but I remember picking up 3 eggs the day before and putting them in the basket right away.
hu.gif

hey everyone, hope everyones had or is having or is just about to have a good day whichever applys to you and your time period
smile.png
had an ok day got some spring cleaning done and got some other things done too. day 10 for my silkie/frizzle/sizzles not sure what they are yet but got four hopefully this hatch will work as my first hatch failed so fingers crossed gonna candle again later when it gets dark
smile.png

Natalie

Back
Top Bottom