Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Hello Old Retired Knight, from your hommie, another retired knight. You are still on this side of the ground wich is a good thang. I havn't been posting but stop in to read what yall are doing from time to time. I see Lady Ranchie is still up and kicking she seems like a super nice lady and Highlander who doesnt like me very much. Old friend, till we meet again. Keep your friends close and enemys closer. Stay busy as a one armed wall paper hanger.

10233_rain_lightning_2.gif
Morning started out with a bang and the rain was quite hard for a while, but now it has lessened to a hard mist. Don't seem to bother the chickens much but I will have to watch the chicks to see how they fair. Hopefully by nightfall the rain will have quit since they haven't figured out how to go inside yet.

The weatherman was just explaining that the rain would be light for most of the day unless it rains harder. That sure makes good sense. He then went on to explain that the storm front should stay over us most of the day unless it shifts south. I guess that must be weatherman CYA.
10233_rain_umbrella.gif

Fatboy, I'm glad you are staying busy. We've been pretty busy as well. Hard to believe the number of bids we've got out there right now. Several jobs we had hoped to get were awarded to others. They were much cheaper than us. We've cut our prices to the bone, to the point that we are actually making less than we did twenty years ago. The problem is that we carry insurance that we must pay for. People will hire uninsured contractors and if someone gets hurt the homeowner is liable. It was sort of funny, I ran into the owner of a campground that hired someone that bid substantially less than us. He was complaining to me that the contractor severed a major electric line and that the utility company had charged him $10,000 to repair the damage. I wonder if he could tell that I thought that it was poetic justice.

I just got a reminder that you don't get any smarter as you get older. I had gone to the store for a loaf of bread and spent $50. I was there early enough that I was able to buy several packages of meat for 40% off. I was in the kitchen trying to sear an eye of round beef roast and repackage 8# of burger into 1/4# patties and Granny decided to help which usually winds up more of a hinderance than a hand. I had placed the roast in a cast iron dutch oven on a burner to sear. I kept going from making patties to turning the roast to sear all sides. In my haste to get the roast in the oven, I grabbed the bale, picked up the roast and placed it in the oven. As soon as I had the dutch oven off the burner I was reminded of why some smart person invented pot holders. I now have four fingers that have a brownish white line burnt across them. When Granny sitting on her stool in the kitchen I didn't want to look as stupid as I felt, so I didn't react as if anything had happened but mentally I was cussing like a sailor at my momentary lapse of intellegence.

Last edited:
YIKES! Hide that lightning, please!
hide.gif

MamaG, best for your mom.

Mags, you are in my thoughts a lot.

Fairy, how goes the toe rehab?

Highlander, how's life in snowy Scotland?
th.gif
My AC has come on now.
th.gif

Fatboy, nice to see your hairy, belching self again. Whaaaaa? Highlander don lak ya? Since when? Youse ah numpty!

Sam, I am going to refrain from commenting on the Dutch oven incident, because I have been there, done that and pretty much for the same reason. #1 reason I call my kitchen a ONE BUTT kitchen!

I have fabulously good news! I had decided that I really can't take on more chicks/chickens. Between the bum hip and very little money, it wasn't going to work. Two people wanted the 13 rescued RIRs, and they both bailed out after further thought. Well, turns out one of DH's co-workers has had chickens before and he and DW were thinking about getting some more. He called him yesterday and we got the call today that the coop is cleaned and ready!
wee.gif

I am really happy, because he is a long time aquaintance and very conscientious.

Last edited:
Hi all!
Back from my parents again. I love it out there and wish I didnt have to come back to town.
hmm.png

My Mayo appointment is tomorrow, I have to be there at 7 am. I am tense and nervous but always am when going to the doc.
Sooooo....like I said in another post, I might be on here a lot tonight/early am. Depends if I can talk myself into sleep.
On a better note, my last hatch went very well and I came home to yet another chick out in that incubator!!
smile.png

Everyone have a good evening.
smile.png

Mags, I know having some old man you've never met telling you not to worry sound rather absurd, so I'll just tell you that you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Quote:
It Will Be Fine.

That's the mantra, IWBF.

Just hang in there all day, but do try to get some rest tonight. It will serve you well.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Och laddie, yer gan saft in the heid. C'mere and hae a bosie, ya puddick!

lau.gif
I THINK she's saying she likes you!

Thanks for translating that Lady Ranchie, I thought she was repeating what Sir Opa said when he burned his didget. Hi Highlander, i would give anything to visit your native land. Opa, work is picking up slowly, also making 20 yr. old wages and the economy will be years in rebuilding if it ever does. yall have a great day, i'm going to find and aggrivate Lady Orpy. Believe that.

Back
Top Bottom