Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Hello Opa, and Friends.
Sorry that I have not been around lately. When I bought this place last year, it had been abandone for a couple three or four years, and I knew that I had a lot of work to do. However, I may have been too conservative in my estimate of what it would take. Not to mention that I may have been overly generous in my beliefs of my capabilities. I'll get it done, but it may take longer than planned. And, I'm going to need bigger equipment.
Highlander, when I mentioned the cool 100 degrees, you must understand that I was using a different reference than normal. I moved here from the Arizona desert, about 50 miles south of Phoenix. It is not unusual to see temperatures of 120 degrees in the shade there. When you could get a breeze, (which wasn't often) it was DRY and hot as if it came off the oven. Here, I have a cool breeze almost all the time, and the temps feel a lot cooler than they read.
CCMH, thanks for the welcome. I have found the coffee is always good here. I am soooo glad I found this site, and all the good folks here. It's comforting to know there are still good people out there, what with all the troubles the world is having now.
I'm sorry that I can't respond to all the posts, but I haven't even caught up on reading all of them yet. Well, back to the weed problem. Some of them are so big, I may have to get the chainsaw out. No burning here, and all trash has to be bagged, so I feed the chipper and sack it. Need a bigger dumpster also..
To all my new friends that I missed, please understand that I haven't overlooked you. I just have some time constraints right now... Thanks...

Sorry, can't do smileys right now... figure it out later... smiles a bunch...

Howdy everyone! Hope you are all doing well.
Opa sounds like there has been some pretty rough weather up in your neck of the woods lately. Glad you are all faring OK up there.
Sally sounds like your weather is the same as mine-almost too hot and humid to breathe. Sadly, just because it's hot doesn't mean there isn't still a mountain of work to do. I know what you mean about the ducks being a mess-my 3 little Calls are messy, but I just enjoy them so much that I couldn't part with them.
Hi to all of the new folk!
frow.gif

I do need to post some pics of my Sumatras-I gave my older rooster to a man who is a wildlife biologist for the State of Texas so I know he is in good hands.
smile.png
Have some beautiful little young roosters that a fine young man gave me that I met through Sumatras. We will start showing our birds in November at the Pelican State Classic in Louisiana. Very excited about that!
I must say that all of the work we've put into our garden has been worth it when we slice up those home grown tomatoes with a little salt and pepper. It's been a challenge this year. Between the lack of water and the blasted stink bugs and grasshoppers, we have had an uphill battle.
Anyone have any good recipes for butternut squash? I only know of one way to fix them and they are producing like crazy!
Hope you all have a wonderful, blessed evening!
hugs.gif

smile.png
Hello everyone, We are enjoying one of the nicest days ever! A beautiful, sunny day with a breeze and temps around 80 degrees, just lovely.

PK, I love the aquarium! Chicago has a fantastic one, The Shedd Aquarium, right on Lake Michigan. I could just watch the Coral Reef display all day. Did you have fun there? What was your favorite thing?

Opa, so your jam sounds wonderful. Is it seedless? I'm getting to where those little buggers bother me.
big_smile.png

viejo loco, Keep plugging away and eventually it will get where you want it to be. And then you'll find out something else you want to do and so on and so on.....ours is always a work in progress.

Pics of Sumatras...YES!! Let's see um!

Hoping Tropical Storm/Hurricane Alex does no damage and brings some rain to those that need it.

Good Morning All and what a beautiful morning here. 57 degrees with sunshine and a heavy dew. Our high isn't suppose to get out of the 70's. It doesn't get any better than this.......... now if only I didn''t have to spend it at work!!

PK, Jellyfish are so "other worldly"! Not surprised that they would be a favorite of yours. Love the new avatar!

Hope everyone has a great day.

Howdy ya'll,

SOSDD as far as weather here.

I do have another broody, but I don't think it's going to be a successful hatch. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=365893

Not
a reliable setter!

Viejo, I know what you mean about the never ending work to be done. This place was pretty wild and it's now even more of a jungle.
Sheila gal, where have you been hiding? Yep, climate and woods here are very much like E. TX. I don't even know what a Sumatra looks like?
PK, jellies are cool, I really get into the amazing varieties of seahorses!
NAF, I am green with envy! That sounds like a lovely day!

For some reason I woke up at 4 a.m. this morning. No idea why, but turning on the light so I could see the keyboard woke up all 5 roosters.
roll.png
They really make a racket. Boy was I glad when I heard an answering distant crow. I'm not the only one out here with a rooster! (or 5)

Hey Sally! I just wanted to say, so you don't feel so bad, that I now own 11 roosters and about 30 hens. There, makes your 5 or so look like small potatoes. Also, out of my 3 call ducks that hatched-2 were drakes. Just didn't want you to feel like the Lone Ranger.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom