Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

OK, I'm flipping out! The guy from the Texas Department of Agriculture is coming to inspect and test my birds on Friday! Talk me down somebody...just kidding, but I really am kinda panicking. My birds are healthy and my coop and run are fine, but still-very big deal for me to get my NPIP certification. Breathe, breathe...OK, I'm fine now.
big_smile.png

Has anyone else done this(not flipped out, but gotten NPIP certified)?

Thanks Guys, I know it will take time. I am very fortunate to have 3 sisters my husband and my children. We are a very close knit family. Together a lot, my oldest sister lives right behind me. It just is so hard. It was hard when my Dad died unexpectedly in his sleep 15 years ago, and now for my Mom to die like this it really stinks. Now I have no parents, at least before I still had my Mom. The hardest thing is going to her house and she is not there. Now we have to start going through all her things so we can sell the house. We have promised each other and my Mom that we will not fight over her stuff and what to do with it. We can honor her memory that way, even though it is so easy to disagree and argue we have promised to talk everything out, because if we fight we would hurt our mother so much.

Hi all, been a little hectic here for a few days. Some kind of support bar that holds some thing to something else on the bushhog broke, so I am the designated gopher, holder, getter, etc., until my hubby gets it welded; think he is about half way done today! Momma had a rough day and got sick in Wal mart, so cut our shopping trip really short.
Beautiful cool weather here this morning though and looking forward to some more tomorrow.

Opa, so sorry for your son's losses, what a bad deal. Hope it all works out for the best and he gets a new hat!!!

MamaG..a little late to chime in for your bad day, but hang in there! Lost my daddy 22 years ago, still miss him and think of him every day....cherish your memories, they will help you get through. Will be praying for you and your family to heal.

Ranchie, I think I would have made lunch out of the chickens!! But Wendy's is pretty good too..splurge and get and ice cream to go along with it!!

Well folks, too late for a cup of coffee this evening, so I will see you all in the morning! Good night all......

A few years ago I went to a estate sale at a farm near my sons. A 97 year old farmer had lived by himself for over twenty years since the time of his wife's death. He was very active and mentally acute. He fell and broke his hip and against his wishes his doctor and his children talked him into going to a nursing home til the hip healed. While the doctor had predicted a full recovery he died within a week of entering the nursing home.

He had everything set up in his will as to how his estate was to be handled. Each of his children, in the presence of the others, could remove one item for the home if it was valued at less than $100 and could be carried in one hand. Everything thing else was to be sold at auction and the proceeds divided equally amongst his children. If there was something they really wanted that had to buy it at the auction. It sure eliminated the possibility of any arguments.

I finished the the building aspect of the chicken tractor tonight. Now all I have left to do is to paint it and install the vinyl on the floor. It's a good thing that it is done as a need to move some birds around. I have a vorwerk bantam hen that is broody and I think I'm going to let her hatch a few chicks.

Mama G, I know how the sense of loss and emptiness can at times almost feel overwhelming. After my dad passed for weeks I felt lost and kept wondering if I had taken control of the well being instead of allowing my mother's favorite son to take over would he still have been alive. I finally realized that spending a lot of time thinking "what if" was counterproductive and wouldn't bring him back. I started concentrating on the positive things he and I had done together during my life and especially after I retired. Now while I still miss him it no longer hurts and I'm filled with a feeling of gratitude. As Red Green would say "keep your stick on the ice, and remember we're all pulling for you".

Last edited:
I'm off to Myrtle Beach soon, going to meet and greet Steffanie/Orpington Manor, and her gang of sons! Yay! Too bad it's raining here, sigh.....

Good Morning All, It's another beautiful day in paradise. Almost too cool this morning and another heavy dew. Got the chick chores done and now doing some laundry and computing and then to the funeral of our neighbor. DH is off today so will be going with me.

ranchy, Have fun on your trip to Myrtle Beach. Never been there but I've heard good things. Always fun to meet other BYCers.

Opa, Can't wait to see pics of the ark. Did you get your internet service back?

Mamag, I know you and your sisters will do your Mama proud when handling the estate.

Etc, Please report on how your NPIP inspection goes. I will be wanting to do this in the future and I know states are different but would be interested in knowing what exactly you had to do.

CCMH, I've been the "gopher, holder, getter, etc" many a time so know where you're coming from. Hope Momma is doing better today.

Great pot of joe, Opa. Later, Mary

Awesome Ranchie.....Say hi to Orp for me....(even though I know you have already left!)
roll.png

mamaG....sorry for your loss. I am all too familiar with the way you are feeling, it has been 21 years since I lost my mom, then my dad just 2 months later. As everyone has said, your pain will ease as time passes, but, I believe and practiced, to concentrate on the living around me and celebrate the life my parents enjoyed. You will always miss them, I know my mother would have told me to hold my head up, quit feeling sorry for myself and move on with life, that was mom...she was a tough old bird! Hope you are doing ok.

A BIG HI
frow.gif
to everyone....I have been really busy lately, and really miss stopping in for a chat!

The news.......
Hot, Hot, Hot....these last few days..no relief in sight til saturday....it will go from 97F to 74F I can't wait
21259_220.gif

Got the coop back in place last weekend....after it flipped 4 times, about 200 feet ,during severe straight line winds. The birds are very greatful to be out of the barn and out in their coop and run again!

Going to see my bro in Surgis next month during bike week, then checking out Mt. Rushmore and Devils Tower on the way back home.

Planning my trip to the UK next April.......lots to do!

Hi all, another flying visit. I have a gazillion and one things to do before we fly out to Budapest on Sunday. I don't know how I am going to get them all done but as long as I pack the passports and the factor 30 then I guess the rest doesn't matter too much!

MamaG - still thinking of you. Hang in there, it will get easier.

EastTC - Good luck with the NPIP!

Ranchie - have fun with Orpie - watch out for them gators!
big_smile.png

Opa -
hugs.gif
to you, Hope and Granny.

Harlan - hope you get some relief from the weather - seems to be a feast or a famine there!

Wylie, NotAFarm, CCMH -
frow.gif

Evening folks, had the nicest weather day here today, cool this morning, breezy and low humidity even though it warmed up some!! Bushhog is fixed..
ya.gif
So I can go back to my stuff! Momma was smiling this morning when I took her breakfast and needed a big hug, but is feeling better and was puttering with her plants this afternoon. Today I realized I have way to many chickens...hmm...gonna have to think on that a bit, reduction might be in order.

Highlander, good to see you! Enjoy your trip, sounds like a wonderful place to visit.

HHF glad your chickens weren't in the coop when it took a tumble, sounds like you had a rough round of it.

NAF sorry to hear about your neighbor, my condolences. Glad you are having some lovely weather, ours will not last too long they say.

Ranchie, Myrtle Beach is gorgeous, have a wonderful time!

Opa, never thought of putting vinyl in a chicken ark, what a great idea...have to run that by my carpenter next time we do some building.

MamaG prayers and
hugs.gif

Hoping everyone had a good day and time to enjoy the beauty all around them. Good night everyone.

Good Morning All, I need some really strong brew this morning...just wanted to stay in bed for some reason. It's another beautiful clear, cool morning but the temps are slowing creeping upward each day and we'll be around the 90 degree mark today.
Thanks everyone for the condolences. When I see all the different plants Darlene gave me in my garden, I smile. "It's what you leave behind you when you go." Randy Travis

Harlan, I saw your other post on your coop. Quite the "mobile coop" you had there.
gig.gif
I'm glad your chickens weren't hurt and you got things righted. We went to Yellowstone last August (first vacation in our 17+ years of marriage that didn't include kids or visiting family), and stopped by Devil's Tower and Mt. Rushmore on the way back to Illinois. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful is all I can say. We took sooooooooo many pics! Hope you have a great time with your brother.

Highlander, Budapest....how exciting for you. Enjoy yourself!

CCMA, Great news on the bushhog! I 'm glad to hear your weather is giving you some cool mornings. I know the feeling on the "reduction might be in order". I have some Freedom Rangers coming the 16th and need to figure out where to put the chicks that are in my tractor when the FRs are ready to move from the brooder. Amazing how fast we can grow our flocks!

I'm usually off on Fridays but since we are closed on Monday for the 4th of July holiday, I'm working today, so I'd better be off.
Have a great day everyone.

ETA-I'll be thinking of you ETC today!
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom