Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

This warm weather sure has kicked the garden in to high gear. When I planted the garden I just planted cucumber seeds instead of plants. I can't believe how much they've grown. They cover a 10' section of fence to a heighth of 7' and have been bearing like crazy.
10233_img-20110802-00009.jpg

With the exception of the tomatoes the rest of the garden is doing great. I plant the tomatoes along side of a zig zag fence made of cow panel. Rather than move it I planted tomatoes against it for the 3rd year in a row. I think the soil is depleted beneath the fence and has adeversely affected the plants.
Zuchinni and sweet bell peppers
10233_securedownload.jpg

French horticulture beans and pole beans on the fence.
10233_garden_fence.jpg

Wow is right! It all looks wonderful. I adore cucumber - chuck a couple over here please?
big_smile.png

Only 2 weeks left of the summer holidays - where did the time go? We are very glad we got some sunshine in Florida though as it has been nonstop grey skies and drizzle since we got back. Got to love the Scottish summer!

I processed 7 cockerels this week. I'm sure it's not a job most people look forward to doing, i absolutely dread it, but I had way too many and they were harrassing the hens terribly so they had to go. The hens are already much more relaxed and i now have a freezer full of meat. And the bonus is that I now have an empty coop! Hmmmm, whatever should I do with it?
big_smile.png

Stay cool everyone, don't work too hard Opa!

It rained yesterday after supper and again around 2 this morning we had thunderstorms. Probably got 1 1/2 inches of rain and I feel rather quilty talking about it. I talked with my oldest son last night and they had just had the warmest day ever recorded in their area, 108 with a heat index of 120. His garden has dried up, his stock ponds are empty, and their well pressure is way down. He is very worried about his livestock. It has been a constant chore just keeping all the livestock water tanks full. Morgan's 4 jersey calves go through 60 gallons of water daily and they are the small animals they have with the exception of the chickens. Hopefully the heat abates and they get some rain.

We got a thunderstorm last night as well. It is now suppose to be in the low and mid 80s for the next ten days. What a relief!! Our temps haven't hit 100 but the heat indices have for many more days this summer than any I can remember (been in IL since '77). I haven't seen if July was one of the hottest.....I'll have look it up. Try to stay cool everyone!

Highlander, An empty coop?..........hmmm......seems like you need to hatch something!!
gig.gif

Opa send us some rain!!!! Our garden is dried up too....106 outside right now, lost another hen last night...never did cool off! Put off cooking down spaghetti sauce today, just too hot on the back porch....maybe tomorrow. Last of the tomatoes so will have to at least put up the juice if I can't get to the sauce......hopefully some rain sometime soon!
Everyone stay cool!! Great looking garden Opa, enjoy some of it for us!!
wink.png

I worked today, all day with a light mist of rain coming down the whole time. About the time I finished for the day it quit. I sure to feel for those suffering from drought. Talked with my son Joe last night and besides worrying about chickens he is very concerned if his mules and cows are going to make it.

I'll make sure to keep Joe in my thoughts, Opa. Luckily, down here in New Mexico, we are blessed with rain from the monsoons. However, the mold they bring is havoc on my sinuses.

Hope all is well with all of you! I'm taking the PSAT this October!
big_smile.png

Good Luck EP!! Will be thinking of you!
Opa will be keeping your sons and their families ( and their livestock) in my prayers. We seem to forget to thank those who put in the hours on the farms and ranches providing us with our food....so to them a big thank you!
About 15 minutes ago they dropped the excessive heat warning here on the weather radio.....its still says 100 on our porch, but ok, I hope they are right. Say tomorrow's high will be 92 with a heat index of only 100....wooohooooo!!!!!!!! For once I hope the weatherman knows what he is talking about! Rain was close today, flash flood warning for the Bluff and New Madrid/Sikeston areas.....maybe us tomorrow!

I'm staying cool
smile.png
Glad to read up on you all. Been busy being retired nowadays........And I've been BUSY. Just checking in..........
smile.png

Opa - love your new title.

Back
Top Bottom