Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Opa this may sound like a dumb questions but.... where do all the fish go when a river dries up? Do they just die or have some innate sense to head for deeper water? Our nearest river is dry enough to walk across. It hasn't been this low the whole summer. Back in July the kids were swimming in it and we were talking about how low it was then at about 3'.

While fish to head into deep areas in the river, many times even these areas become to shallow and the the fish become trapped. If the water level become to low the fish die. Sadly there have been massive die offs all over the country this year.

Opa this may sound like a dumb questions but.... where do all the fish go when a river dries up? Do they just die or have some innate sense to head for deeper water? Our nearest river is dry enough to walk across. It hasn't been this low the whole summer. Back in July the kids were swimming in it and we were talking about how low it was then at about 3'.
I often wondered about that too...where the fishies go when the water is frozen over....... I don't think the lake would totally freeze all the way down to the bottom of the water so I would imagine the fishes would lie there, in dormant state....must have antifreeze in their veins to keep alive. Once the water thawed out, they will snap out of hibernation. The ones that got trapped in the ice (I've seen a few crappies and sunfishes frozen on the lake while ice skating), they won't come out of hiberation...they died.

As they are down there hibernating, I am not sure if they would eat..........or they just move slowly to conserve but when they do see a bait, they would jump for it...thus ice fishing.

Those are my assumptions. Opa would know more!

One of the things I enjoy about ice fishing up in Hessel is that the water is so clear you can watch the fish even in 15 feet or more of water. I have often sat over the hole, fascinated to watch the behaviour of the fish and other little underwater critters. They are not dormant at all, they swim around as they always do, eat and run from predators. They are icy cold when you catch them though!

Aren't fish cold blooded? I know comparing with my fishes in fish tanks are not the same as wild fishes but the guppies would die in that temps of water.

I always enjoyed ice diving when the ice fishermen were out. They always thought that we were crazy but the water temperature under the ice can be relatively warm. 40-45 degrees at depth, while those silly fishermen were sitting on buckets in -10 air temps.
lol.png

Ice and snow act as an insulator and reduces wind induced evaporation. But it does block the surface exchanges of gases, so small ponds can face a lack of oxygen and a built up of carbon dioxide and methane. Not good for the fish.
The water is so clear in winter because there are very few zooplankton in the water column.

All this and more were subjects of my master's work. Please excuse my exuberance but I can discuss this stuff for hours. I'll try not to bore you.
hide.gif

Cake is a wonderful creation. Round, rectangular, square, layered, tiered, upside down. They're all good. Chocolate, vanilla, coconut, pineapple, lemon, poppyseed, yellow, white, angelfood, the varieties and flavors are almost uncountable. I think it was Will Rodgers who said "I never met a cake I didn't like".

This morning as I was doing a line of cake I got to wondering if cake is addicting.

I always enjoyed ice diving when the ice fishermen were out. They always thought that we were crazy but the water temperature under the ice can be relatively warm. 40-45 degrees at depth, while those silly fishermen were sitting on buckets in -10 air temps.
lol.png

Ice and snow act as an insulator and reduces wind induced evaporation. But it does block the surface exchanges of gases, so small ponds can face a lack of oxygen and a built up of carbon dioxide and methane. Not good for the fish.
The water is so clear in winter because there are very few zooplankton in the water column.

All this and more were subjects of my master's work. Please excuse my exuberance but I can discuss this stuff for hours. I'll try not to bore you.
hide.gif

aww come on ... you gotta tell me........ did you mess with a few lines? Reach up through their fishing holes........wave from down under?

Cake is a wonderful creation. Round, rectangular, square, layered, tiered, upside down. They're all good. Chocolate, vanilla, coconut, pineapple, lemon, poppyseed, yellow, white, angelfood, the varieties and flavors are almost uncountable. I think it was Will Rodgers who said "I never met a cake I didn't like".

This morning as I was doing a line of cake I got to wondering if cake is addicting.

Ah, I feel the same way about pie....as does my little one..for her fourth birthday she didn't want cake - she wanted pineapple pie!!!

This song from the movie "Michael" about sums it up!

Pie
Pie
Me oh my
Nothing tastes sweet, wet, salty and dry
all at once o well it's pie
Apple!
Pumpkin!
Minced
an' wet bottom.
Come to your place everyday if you've got em'
Pie
Me o my