Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

images

Hi Sam! These cool mornings make the coffee taste extra good! I hope everything is well with everyone.

At the risk of sounding like Mr Rogers I must say that it has been a beautiful day in the neighborhood. Most of the day has been sunny with a slight breeze and the temperature in the low 60's. Picked the rest of the pole beans and shelled them. Wound up with about 3lbs. I've spread them out on a deep lipped cookie sheet. A few weren't totally dry so I'll give them a few more days before packaging. Don't want to risk having them spoil. With the ever increasing food costs don't want to throw anything out.

Tomorrow I must take Granny for another injection in her knee. Dave and our emplye are going to affect a repair on a roof truss that was broken by a storm falling tree. We both should be done bofore noon and hopefully we will be going fishing. I've got the boat totally rigged for backtrolling. New line counter reels, new rods, and several hundreds of dollars worth of Kwick Fish, Hot Shots, Wiggle Warts, and Tadpollies. Unfortunately the water levels are so low that we can't use the boat. So instead of drifting downstream away from the crowds we will be stuck fishing below one of the dams with lots of others.

Yes, but the cake is very good. When we made the cake today we used dark chocolate chips and Hershey Special Dark cocoa powder. Wanted to make sure we could tat the chocolate.
Dang! I went out and bought Pepperridge Farms chocolate fudge cake..........heck I could make some with a few more purchases from the store!

I slept in and now I have a LONG day ahead. I was going to stretch out my coop cleaning over 3 days to make it easier. However in the past day our forecast has changed from sunny and clear to rainy for the week, so today is it. Off to coffee and cleaning.

Fishing turned out to be just that, fishing. No catching. Still it was good to spend the afternoon with David. I'm thankful for anytime I get to spend with my sons.

I've also got to clean the coops. Winter is coming and I need to start winterizing everything before it gets much colder. This summer I had intended to run a waterline down to the coops. Being able to fill the waters near where they are being used certainly would have made life easier but I never managed to get time and money together at the same time so I will be toting water again this winter.

Opa, I know you are a busy man, but sometime when you have a little time would you consider a Opa's Smoking Guide thread? I would love to see how you do your smoking, start to finish, including your smoker and how is was built if you did it yourself. My BF keeps talking about smoking salmon, and he wants to get an old refrigerator to use as a smoker, but I would Really not like to have an old icky fridge sitting out in my yard. 'Course we would need to catch some salmon first. They are not biting at all around here, but I hear they are catching Kings up in the Soo.

Opa, I know you are a busy man, but sometime when you have a little time would you consider a Opa's Smoking Guide thread? I would love to see how you do your smoking, start to finish, including your smoker and how is was built if you did it yourself. My BF keeps talking about smoking salmon, and he wants to get an old refrigerator to use as a smoker, but I would Really not like to have an old icky fridge sitting out in my yard. 'Course we would need to catch some salmon first. They are not biting at all around here, but I hear they are catching Kings up in the Soo.
I've smoking fish,fowl, meat, and cheese for over 40 years and during that time I have managed to learn a thing or two. A lot of folks have expressed an interest in smoking and maybe it wouldn't be to persumptuous if I were to start a thread that shares some of that knowledge.

Last edited:
That would be a thread well received, I should think.

When I got that apple wood from you, we discussed using it in my smoker. Your words of how a chain saw might contaminate the wood chips made me think. So I bought an electric chain saw.

Before using it, I cleaned the chain with alcohol to remove any oils and then filled the saw reservoir with peanut oil. I am pretty comfortable using the cut medallions and even the chips in my smoker.

Back
Top Bottom