Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

I am currently composing a how to build a smoker like the one I use. Since it re-circulates the heat and smoke it works very much like a convection oven. Once I have all the info and photos put together I'll probably add a helpful hints section.

I got to thinking about the advise I gave Raz about chainsaw created chips being toxic due to bar oil and his decision to replace it with peanut oil. As long as all the petroleum based oil is flushed out with alcohol it would work fine. The more I thought about it I realized that it would be a could method to dispose of used cooking oil. The only disadvantage would be that you would use oil at faster rate due to food grade oils having a much lower viscosity than bar oil.

Last edited:
Looking forward to the smoker info!
X2
caf.gif

I've also got to clean the coops. Winter is coming and I need to start winterizing everything before it gets much colder. This summer I had intended to run a waterline down to the coops. Being able to fill the waters near where they are being used certainly would have made life easier but I never managed to get time and money together at the same time so I will be toting water again this winter.

If I ever have any pangs of regret about having to sell my birds then all I have to do is think about lugging buckets upon buckets of water through 3 feet of snow and it all disappears! I will not miss that part one little bit!

If I ever have any pangs of regret about having to sell my birds then all I have to do is think about lugging buckets upon buckets of water through 3 feet of snow and it all disappears! I will not miss that part one little bit!
With all due respect, I would rather lug the water through a few metres of snow than try to drive to the local grocer for store-bought eggs.
Since I'm checking on the chickens each day, I don't find it to be difficult to tote out a fresh water bin for them.
On the other hand, I only have a small flock so it's not like I'm moving dozens of litres (gallons) of water.

Another day started in the middle of the night. This waking up at 4am is a pain. Don't get m wrong. I am grateful to wake up, I just wish it wasn't quite so early. Rather than just sit here waiting for sunrise I decided to use the time productively. I've placed 3 gallons of tomato juice and pulp in the oven to reduce down. I've bagged the sweet bell peppers that I place on cookie sheets and stuck in the freezer yesterday. They were the last from the garden. Small peppers I was hoping would get larger before the frost hit. When frost was predicted I picked them and yesterday seeded and sliced them into strips. Wound up with 6 quart bags. At this rate I will have most of today's planned tasks done before the sun comes up.

Tomorrow I'm meeting with a couple of friends and taking a drift boat on one of the local rivers. The water levels are still extremely low so I'm not really sure how productive the trip will be but there are steelhead ascending the river so maybe we might tie into a few.

Next week the jobs David has going won't require his presence so I am hopeful that he and I will be able to get out a couple of times. As much as I like doing things with my friends there is something about going with one of my sons that gives me so much more. No doubt about it, I am a rich man.

A young guy (46) across the street called me last night. He has been up north working for the past week and he called just to touch base. We tease each other about his being my adopted son. He had some personal issues that he has been dealing with and I have been able to encourage him and help him stay grounded. I take it as quite a compliment that he comes to me for advice and guidance. As I said, I am a rich man.

Opa, have Hope get you some Melatonin drops from the health food store. I put just a couple drops under my tongue and it helps me go back to sleep!

I would like to freeze some peppers also. What is the best way to do that? They are hot Jalapeno peppers. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom