Open back wound update. Euthanize?

Silling

Chirping
Mar 9, 2021
A week ago our hen Michelle was attacked by what we then thought was a dog but ended up being an eagle. I posted pictures of her wounds and asked for help here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/dog-attack-open-back-wound.1463179/#post-24387548

Now her wounds look dried out even with constant triple antibiotic ointment and don't seem to be healing. She is still eating and drinking but is not very active. My mom, an ICU nurse said the wounds don't look good and suggested we start thinking about euthanized.

What do you think? Do they look like they have a chance to heal or are we fighting a losing battle? How do we know when it's time to end her suffering? How can we ensure she passes peacefully and humanely if we have to go that route?

Attachments

• 20210506_203955.jpg
    20210506_203955.jpg
    650.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 20210506_204001.jpg
    20210506_204001.jpg
    533.6 KB · Views: 52
Do they smell? They look possibly infected.
Did you rinse the wound out before applying Neosporin? Are you wrapping the wound? If your not wrapping the wound, your doing everything right, BTW, just wanted to double check as that can increase infection risk.
Were have you been keeping her? Inside, outside?
Hmmm, why are her feathers wet on her back? Did you just rinse it out in this picture? I'll tag some experts. @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @azygous

Do they smell? They look possibly infected.
Did you rinse the wound out before applying Neosporin? Are you wrapping the wound? If your not wrapping the wound, your doing everything right, BTW, just wanted to double check as that can increase infection risk.
Were have you been keeping her? Inside, outside?
Hmmm, why are her feathers wet on her back? Did you just rinse it out in this picture? I'll tag some experts. @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @azygous
We have been rinsing the wound and the feathers are wet due to the wash. No real smell is present.

We have been rinsing the wound and the feathers are wet due to the wash. No real smell is present.
We had been keeping her inside but she started picking off chunks of her own skin so we put the saddle on her and let her spent the last 2 days outside with our baby chicks and new mama hen. Since being let our she has stopped picking. We have kept her separate from our rooster though because he's a butthole to her. And no we have not been wrapping. We have also been giving pen g

It's a large wound, but if you can commit to cleaning it every single day and keeping it moist with an antibacterial ointment, she can heal.

I had a baby chick once that had the entire back of her head scalped down to the scull. I kept her with the other chicks while she healed, and cleaned the wound every day and kept it moist. It took about six weeks for the wound to close up by the process of granulation - new tissue growing in from the edges toward the center. It's an amazing process to watch.

But it requires commitment and dedication or infection will easily set it if you get lax with the wound care.

It's a large wound, but if you can commit to cleaning it every single day and keeping it moist with an antibacterial ointment, she can heal.

I had a baby chick once that had the entire back of her head scalped down to the scull. I kept her with the other chicks while she healed, and cleaned the wound every day and kept it moist. It took about six weeks for the wound to close up by the process of granulation - new tissue growing in from the edges toward the center. It's an amazing process to watch.

But it requires commitment and dedication or infection will easily set it if you get lax with the wound care.
Ok. I have been getting conflicting info. Some people who work in trauma and wound care centers for people have said to let it dry and scab over. Others have said keep it moist. So we have not used ointment in the last 2 days. Is it too late to start back?

I would give her a chance to heal.

But really commit to keeping it clean and making life as easy as possible for her. Work on boosting her immune system with vitamin/electolyte mix in addition to clean water. Try to offer a little plain greek yogurt (1 Tbsp) once or twice a day as well.

Sanitize everything daily.

You can try to add Orego stim to the water as well. It might help with her immune system.

I have also used this product before with success and you can add it into your regiment:

EmerAid Intensive Care Omnivore​

If you can't commit to the care yourself, there are emergency facilities that may be able to do the work for you, if you have one within a few hrs drive. Expect to pay alot if you go this route.

Good luck and I hope she recovers!

Think positive!

Last edited:
My hen had a big back wound from dog attack, I kept it clean and moist for about a week, when I saw the wound healed over I stopped applying neosporin. Her back is healed although she’s missing some feathers on the spot. Also gave her injectable procaine penicillin for 4 days from the start. She is fine now and I’m glad I did it. Ultimately the choice is yours and whether your girl is suffering. I was shocked that she healed. All together she was in our “hospital“ for about 10 days, reintegrated her with the others and all is well.

Back
Top Bottom