Open gash in back of comb- ( infection photo)

tjmb1414

Chirping
Jan 18, 2022
Hi All and Happy Holidays,
My chocolate Orpington rooster was attacked. Part of his comb was ripped off but the more concerning area is the large gash in the back of his head. What I’m doing now- confinement in my mudroom, oral antibiotics by mouth twice a day, aspirin, cleaning the area twice a day with a chlorhexidine rinse and antibiotic Ointment with no pain medicine added. Problem is -it’s infected and I don’t know what else I can do for this poor bird. I was thinking of trying equiaide, which is a pound flash medication for horses. you literally paint on the medication and it’s supposed to help open wound areas. infection for open boneProblem is it’s infected and I don’t know what else I can do for this poor bird. Any additional advice is much appreciated!
Thanks,
Tracey
CC241231-F59D-4EBF-A84C-F76D868161C8.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello! Poor guy! What I did for my hen when she had an infected wound was I used a little bit of diluted hydrogen peroxide to help clean out the infection. Another thing I used was penicillin G muscular injections. I would try the hydrogen Peroxide first though.
The wound looks pretty small, is it deep?
How long has it been infected?
I hope this helps!

Hello! Poor guy! What I did for my hen when she had an infected wound was I used a little bit of diluted hydrogen peroxide to help clean out the infection. Another thing I used was penicillin G muscular injections. I would try the hydrogen Peroxide first though.
The wound looks pretty small, is it deep?
How long has it been infected?
I hope this helps!
The wound is about 1.5 inches in length and it’s pretty open- it’s hard to get a good photo of it. I really like the penicillin idea, thank you! I tried a hydrogen peroxide and Betadine neither worked also tried Vetercyin.

The wound is about 1.5 inches in length and it’s pretty open- it’s hard to get a good photo of it. I really like the penicillin idea, thank you! I tried a hydrogen peroxide and Betadine neither worked also tried Vetercyin.
You can get the needles and penicillin at TSC. When I went there I just asked for their smallest needles (but no smaller than 22 gauge cause the stuff is thick), and the penicillin would be in there refrigerator section (the cashiers usually have to go get it for you) I bought 3cc syringes that already had the needles attached, and if I needed to reuse them I just boiled them. I did 0.20cc or 1/2 cc every day. I hope that helps! If you have any other questions about it though feel free to ask. Giving the shot is really not all that intimidating.

You can get the needles and penicillin at TSC. When I went there I just asked for their smallest needles (but no smaller than 22 gauge cause the stuff is thick), and the penicillin would be in there refrigerator section (the cashiers usually have to go get it for you) I bought 3cc syringes that already had the needles attached, and if I needed to reuse them I just boiled them. I did 0.20cc or 1/2 cc every day. I hope that helps! If you have any other questions about it though feel free to ask. Giving the shot is really not all that intimidating.
You read my mind I was going to ask about the dosage. I’m familiar with giving the shot. Thanks for all your hope. Love my little guys and hope he pulls through 🎄

I would clean it twice a day with the Betadine, or get Hibiclens or chlorhexidene and clean it, rinsing with a little water. Then when dry, coat it with plain Neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment.

I would clean it twice a day with the Betadine, or get Hibiclens or chlorhexidene and clean it, rinsing with a little water. Then when dry, coat it with plain Neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment.
Great advice. It will take time, but such wounds heal - from the outside in. Stop with the hydrogen peroxide. At this point it is counterproductive.

Back
Top Bottom