Open run flooring-mulch is compacted-help?

heiditam

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 8, 2014
I have an open run, so it gets rained on alot. I like mulch, but after a while, it seems to get compacted where girls cannot turn it over...I took a shovel to it, and the underside looks like dirt/compacted mud, and is stinky...

what should I do? Shovel it out to dirt layer and start over? Just add fresh mulch on top?

I guess what I am asking...how do you manage mulch in the run? I really liked it when it was fresh, but after a few rains and couple months, it is stinky underneath...if I add more will it break down, or do I need to start over? I never stirred it-was that my mistake? I am looking for the easiest bedding solution that will break down and not stink in the run...I want mulch to work-any advice?

I think the key is to have a mix of sizes/shapes/materials of organic matter to help host a healthy mix of organisms to keep it broken down.

I have an open run, so it gets rained on alot. I like mulch, but after a while, it seems to get compacted where girls cannot turn it over...I took a shovel to it, and the underside looks like dirt/compacted mud, and is stinky...

what should I do? Shovel it out to dirt layer and start over? Just add fresh mulch on top? 

I guess what I am asking...how do you manage mulch in the run? I really liked it when it was fresh, but after a few rains and couple months, it is stinky underneath...if I add more will it break down, or do I need to start over? I never stirred it-was that my mistake? I am looking for the easiest bedding solution that will break down and not stink in the run...I want mulch to work-any advice?
Get rid of it all and replace it with a course sand,it drains great always drys out and if properly cleaned has no smell, might not be a cost effective way for you depending on how big the area is.

I think the key is to have a mix of sizes/shapes/materials of organic matter to help host a healthy mix of organisms to keep it broken down.

I can try that thanks :)

Get rid of it all and replace it with a course sand,it drains great always drys out and if properly cleaned has no smell, might not be a cost effective way for you depending on how big the area is.

I am Leary of sand. I tried it in my coop and really didn't love it.

Quote: Not fond of sand either, it works great on a poop board or in the brooder......
.....but it does get eventually saturated with pulverized poop particles and then what do you do with it?
I used about 20 lbs from the brooder after several batches of chicks to fill holes in the yard left from an auto accident, worked good for that.

What are you using as "mulch"?

I would simply add coarse wood chips. A lot more...

Do not disturb it.

Add enough so the top 4 or 5 inches is dry.

The birds will love digging into it, the bottom will eventually dry out, or at the very least stop smelling, once you add enough carbon rich litter (wood chips) to offset the nitrogen rich anaerobic muck.

A carbon rich compost pit will not smell, just take a lot longer to break down.

Since you are not making compost per say, the more carbon, the better (wood chips).

It might also help to do a little reading on cold composting, which is in essence what you will be doing.

Hope this helps.

I live in a forested area so I have lots of leaves. I coarsely shred half of them (and leave the rest whole) and throw them in the run, ending up with a 4-6" layer at the end of the raking season. The hens love to dig through it which keeps it from compacting - it also helps to keep the soil underneath friable. When the leaves start falling the next Fall, I shovel all the beautiful leaves my hens have composted for me out of the run and I start over.

In addition to the uncovered run I have a covered pen that the hens hang out in to get out of the weather. That has 6" of sand in it and works just like a litter box. I rake it out regularly (it's only 8x10 - it goes quick) and sift out the rakings to add to my compost bins. Eventually, like a litter box, the sand level goes down and I add more. These methods work for me and my feather-footed friends.

I live in a forested area so I have lots of leaves. I coarsely shred half of them (and leave the rest whole) and throw them in the run, ending up with a 4-6" layer at the end of the raking season. The hens love to dig through it which keeps it from compacting - it also helps to keep the soil underneath friable.

thumbsup.gif

Gathering of last fall's leaves for this years compost.

That shredded pile is about 30'x30'x36 inches high.

Back
Top Bottom