open wound, graphic pic, help ASAP!

halfwaynowhere

Songster
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
La Puente, CA
Yesterday I decided to introduce my younger hens to my older girls, thinking everyone was old enough and there wouldn't be any major problems. I was WRONG! My leghorn and EE pullets are fine, but Norma-Jean, the brahma (my favorite, too!) is not looking good at all. I just went out to feed them, and she was off to one corner of the coop. When she came to the door, I saw blood.

I've removed her from the coop, and put her in a cage in the house. i don't want flies on the wound, and i want to be able to keep a close eye on her.

What do I do about this? how do i treat it?

IMG_3109.JPG

Quote:
After wash it out good, you can use neosporin w/o pain relief. or Blue-kote or vetrycin. make sure to keep her away from the others till she is healed, Brahmas are so laid back they tend to get picked on by other more agressive breeds.

upon further inspection, it seems her insides have been damaged. you can't see it in the picture, but behind where that feather was stuck on there, is poop that is coming out of her. with it being open into the wound, i don't see a good chance for her to heal. the poop leaking out is just going to cause problems with the rest of the tissue. so we've decided to cull.

i'm really not happy about the outcome. if i didn't know that birds hide their pain, i'd think about just waiting it out. but i know that even if she's not showing signs of pain, she's got to be suffering, and its not fair to her.

so i'm waiting for my mom to get home, and her bf is going to do the deed. i don't want any part of it. my chickens are pets, and while i wish i could handle this, being that its a part of life and all, i just can't do it.

i'm so not happy about this whole thing. the other two younger birds seem to be doing just fine, but I'm keeping a close eye on them to make sure any scuffles are minor. I've already threatened my EE hen (because I highly doubt my sweet Australorp was the culprit) that if she hurts anyone else, she goes in the stewpot. Its an empty threat, but I'm so upset.

I'm so sorry about your Brahma. I have one...she's a lover.
They are such passive sweet birds...with everyone and everything it seems.
A tad on the hefty side, but that's okay!
I'm sorry this happened.
I wish things didn't happen...
I understand the pet thing though...alllll the way.
I could never...ever ever...do that.
I had to pay 40 bucks to have a chick euthanized at a vets office because of my weakness.
sad.png

Not that I mind, but others think I'm nuts.

I'm sure your bird knew that you loved her...and that's the best thing you could ever do for any living thing!
^ ^
She'll be waiting for you in chickie heaven....I like to think I'll be reunited with all of my pets someday.

hugs.gif

I have the same problem, but im not sure if my chick will make it or not. Hoping she will. but does anyone know why they would do that?
The problem i have is the chick was bought with a group of 6 at once from my tractor supply but she has grown VERY fast and seems full gown when the others are only 1month and half. she is about 3 times bigger. she was seperated 2 weeks into the begging of our journey because she was getting pecked at and blooded. thinking it was because she was loseing her feathers early. I brought her back and decided to add her back to the group. Bad choice. One chick made a mess of her. So i seperated again. I guess what my other question is has anyone had a chick grow so fast and will she produce good eggs?? they are long horns. Only chicks they had there for sale at the time.

VeronicaPetraCchi- are you sure your larger bird isn't a meatie ( Cornish)??
hide.gif
I say this because TSC normally sell a lot of them and they have been known to mix there birds. This happened to me ( bought some tetra tints AND 2 of them turned out to be Cornish!)I realized after a couple of weeks when they had doubled the sz of the others, they grow at an alarming rate!
ep.gif

No problem. I also had the same problem with the pecking, the others made a right mess of the Cornish chicks butts! I was never able to keep them together after that. Definitley look into it, unfortunately they don't live long
hide.gif
because they grow so quickly they have problems with carrying the extra weight and can have heart issues, they don't fair well in the heat either. They are really only useful as a meat bird and most cull them at around 8 weeks old. Hoping that I'm wrong tho! Let us know what the outcome is!

Back
Top Bottom