open wound on hen need help

nutmeg

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 8, 2007
I have a hen that I thought was trying to sit on the nest but now I think she was just hiding.
I picked her up this morning and found that her side had been injured. I am assuming a roo cut her flesh with his claw or spur. I had another one with a much smaller wound and have been nursing her back to health. This one is a much larger area and the worst part is she went and did her dirt bath thing and now it is crusted in sandy dirt.
My question is do I clean it out or leave the dirt and let it heal that way? I have heard that sometimes wounds are covered in mud to heal. It must be a few days old and there is no sign of infection. I have isolated her with the other hen and her buddy (3 birds) They do not bother each other.
Secondary question, how do you trim those nasty spurs on the roos.? I know I have too many of them(6) for the moment and am working on separating them but that is still a week or so away.

Personally, if you believe the wound is a few days old, is covered over nicely, and your girl is otherwise acting ok, I'd leave it alone but keep her isolated for a few more days with plenty of water. You and nature take care of her and scold those boys!

Thanks, she is all spunky and a little mad I took her out of the coop but seems fine otherwise.
Those boys are lucky I don't consider them food. One of them has a home he will be going to in a few weeks and I am hoping they may take another one. One is the old man of the flock and he just struts around keeping everybody in line. The other four were all hatched last summer by one of my buffs. She took off and four weeks later came back with 6 chicks. Unfortunately 4 were boys. These are my pets with the side benefit of providing eggs so I don't butcher them.
I just ordered chicks to double my flock of hens. I know it will be awhile until they will interest the roos but I will just divide them up each with a few hens until then.

Back
Top Bottom