Opening a can of worms -- which breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 4HDad, Jan 18, 2011.

1. 4HDad

4HDad Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2011
    West Central, Ohio
    My son has decided that he wants to raise some bantams to show in 4-H this year. He has narrowed his choices down to three breeds and we were hoping to get some input as to some pros and cons of each breed and how easy they would be to handle for a 10-year-old.

The breeds he has narrowed down to are Japanese, Rosecomb and d'Anver. He prefers the clean legged breeds over the feathered legs. I have done some research and realize each breed has it's own set of challenges, but just looking for some input from current breeders of these breeds.

Thanks in advance!

Roger

(Edited to correct the spelling of d'Anver...Thanks for the correction)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. Pyncheon guy

Pyncheon guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    All 3 are nice to start with....the 3rd one is spelled d'Anver not d'anville.....

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Contact Boggy Bottom Bantams for anything you want to not about dAnvers ( not D'anvilles) He has or will have every imaginable color of them and can tell you whatever you want to know about them and sell you some chicks or eggs to get you started. dAnvers would be my pick of the three.

4. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    Rosecombs, for sure. They're beautiful, very striking little birds.

5. 4HDad

4HDad Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2011
    West Central, Ohio
    Thanks for the correction on the d'Anver spelling and the quick responses.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You said he is interested in raising "some" bantams. How many? He might consider getting at least one (or better a pair) of each breed, with the idea that over the course of the year he will select one of the breeds to continue.

Everyone has their own preferences, and that way he will be able to select based upon his own preferences and experiences, not that of others. In general they are all nice breeds that should work well for a beginner. Be sure to get a copy of the standard, and spend the $$ to get birds that will compete and breed well.

7. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    my first choice would be d'anvers. they are great little birds. rosecombs are nice too but don't have the color options of the d'anvers. sometimes the Japanese have a hard time hatching because the legs are very very short.

8. 4HDad

4HDad Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2011
    West Central, Ohio
    Thanks for the continued responses.

Due to some of the guidelines I have been given, we will probably be sticking with just one breed for now. Those guidelines are that we need to show a trio and should raise them from chicks. Due to this I plan to buy a bunch of chicks so that hopefully we can get a good trio.

I understand about having him select a breed based on his preferences. We spent alot of time in the chicken barn at our fair last year looking at different breeds and talking to the exibitors. He was all set to get OEGB's until he learned that you have to trim their comb before showing them. Then it came to the Rosecombs and the Japanese with emphasis on the Japanese. I talked to him about the lethal gene for the Japanese short legs since this is similar to the dwarfing gene in the Netherland Dwarf rabbits he raises. This didn't bother him too much.

Anybody know of a good source for these breeds?

Thanks again,
    Roger

9. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:Which breed did he pick? I have some advice too, if you want to do Really well in shows then stay away from a hatchery!

Rick Hare has some of the best black rosecombs I think in the country.
    I will have to look for others
    punky

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  10. 4HDad

4HDad Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2011
    West Central, Ohio
    I'm not really worried about him doing extremely well. I just want to make sure he gets something that is a good enough representative of the breed so as to not get laughed out of the barn.

Right now he is really leaning to the Japanese, but hasn't made a 100% decision.

Thanks,
    Roger

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by