Operation Dry Hatch

Oh, sure they do, but I hear a lot of chickens' fertility goes down in the fall and winter!!!!!!  Funny thing, mine were the most fertile during the winter, but maybe it was because they were just maturing and my roo was so excited to have some girlfriends!
How is your chicken rebuilding coming along, Mohillbilly?

Mine definitely slow down in fall and winter. They need 13 hours of light a day to stay fertile. I did however hatch all last winter because I had a timer in my coop for my lights. How's the weather down there today? Up here in Canada we have a Spring Snow Storm on its way.
Yuck!

Oh, sure they do, but I hear a lot of chickens' fertility goes down in the fall and winter!!!!!! Funny thing, mine were the most fertile during the winter, but maybe it was because they were just maturing and my roo was so excited to have some girlfriends!
How is your chicken rebuilding coming along, Mohillbilly?
i have 36 coming june 4th hopefully I will have the pens and coops built by then

Mine definitely slow down in fall and winter. They need 13 hours of light a day to stay fertile. I did however hatch all last winter because I had a timer in my coop for my lights. How's the weather down there today? Up here in Canada we have a Spring Snow Storm on its way.
Yuck!

We had basically no snow here in Ohio this past winter. The weather was very nice. Today it was cloudy and chilly, but overall it's been like summer. Hate to see what summer will be like!
I don't know what we do to our silkies because they sleep in my DH's tool room and the light stays on all the time. They have lots of other places to choose from and I have even tried to pen them in other parts of the barn, but they won't have it.

We had basically no snow here in Ohio this past winter. The weather was very nice. Today it was cloudy and chilly, but overall it's been like summer. Hate to see what summer will be like!
I don't know what we do to our silkies because they sleep in my DH's tool room and the light stays on all the time. They have lots of other places to choose from and I have even tried to pen them in other parts of the barn, but they won't have it.
Gasp! I panic when we don't have a winter with much snow here, we get those blasted wild fires. I have had to evacuate before, and that was pre ducks and chickens. Don't know what I would do now.

Good luck. I'm just hoping we can get the tarp off the floor of the coop we started by June 4th and get back to work on one!
What kinds do you have coming?

I have these coming in , BLUE ANDALUSIANS , ARAUCANA , BLACK AUSTRALORP , CUCKOO MARANS , LIGHT BRAHMAS , PARTRIDGE ROCK , RHODE ISLAND RED , SALMON FAVEROLLES , TURKENS and if I can find the eggs I will add turkeys , ducks and geese.

Today is day 21 and what did I find when I looked in the bator this morning. 2 little RIR and 2 Barred Rocks coming into this big world. Only 1 more BR and 8
RIR to go.

I have these coming in , BLUE ANDALUSIANS , ARAUCANA , BLACK AUSTRALORP , CUCKOO MARANS , LIGHT BRAHMAS , PARTRIDGE ROCK , RHODE ISLAND RED , SALMON FAVEROLLES , TURKENS and if I can find the eggs I will add turkeys , ducks and geese.

Are the Faverolles bantam or large fowl? Someone is putting in bantam into the incubator for me this weekend. I have been looking around for eggs, but am having a hard time finding anything in the bantam size for them. I don't see much at all even for the LF variety.
I love the Brahmas. I was very tempted to get some this year, but it will have to wait until next year. I want to get some from Dick Horstman.
Are the Araucana rumpless?
I have RIRs. They came from the hatchery, but they are so sweet. When I go out in the part of the yard that is for them, they follow me around like little puppies!
A cuckoo Maran would be pretty.
I think I know what a partridge Rock is and a Turken, but I'm not sure what a blue Andalusian is. I will look them up to see what they look like.
That is a very nice selection you have started off with.
Please let me know if you have any thoughts were I can find some banty Faverolles, in case I get some chicks in three weeks! I thought to myself if I can't find anything to add in for breeders, I had read they are excellent egg layers, even in the winter, so at least we would have eggs if I got very many pullets.
Oh, is there any way to sex them when they are young?

Today is day 21 and what did I find when I looked in the bator this morning. 2 little RIR and 2 Barred Rocks coming into this big world. Only 1 more BR and 8
RIR to go.

Aaaawwwww!!!!! I didn't expect to see pictures of sweet little chicks being born. They are so delightful you gave me the shivers!
Congragulations.
Are these from you stock or are they shipped eggs?
Keep us posted on how the others do.
What an exciting morning you are having.

RIR to go.

Oh my goodness, how sweet! That second one looks like me in the mornings. :lol: I see you use a egg carton to hatch them out, is this your first time in doing so? How's it working for you?

Back
Top Bottom