Opinion on mixing chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ste1995, May 26, 2019.

1. ste1995

ste1995 Chirping

May 13, 2019
    Liverpool, UK
    Hi all I’ve currently got 3 chicks in my brooder all doing well.. I’ve got 6 more due to hatch tomorrow do you think they will be ok to mix with the current 3? Or will they try and bully the new chicks? Any advice would be appreciated

DobieLover likes this.
  2. Keeperofmunchkins

Keeperofmunchkins Songster

Nov 5, 2018
    Birmingham UK
    How old are the first lot of chicks?

3. ste1995

ste1995 Chirping

May 13, 2019
    Liverpool, UK
    1 week on Tuesday

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I'd do a look no touch in the Brooder till the newly hatched are a few days old and then try introducing them.

5. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    I had 3 chicks die from my first order.
    I had replacements shipped that were exactly one week younger than the first batch.
    I put the three new ones in with the 1 week older chicks with zero issues. It was like they had been there from the start.
    Young chicks aren't as brutal as older pullets and cranky hens.

blackdog043 and FoodFreedomNow like this.
  6. Pekin747

Pekin747 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    Ireland
    Wait til the newer ones are around 4 days and then mix otherwise the 3 older ones might hurt or kill them

7. harmonyp

harmonyp Songster

May 25, 2013
    N. California
    No advice here, just telling my experience. I had 11 one week old chicks when I decided to add a few more breeds. I brought home 7 more chicks, between 1 and 3 days old.

I made a larger brooder box, and put all 18 of them in the new brooder box. Don't know if the new unfamiliar environment helped dissipate any issues with the resident 1-week olds, but I had no issues.

blackdog043 and Willowspirit like this.
  8. I'm thinking a larger brooder box is key.

9. Harmony Fowl

Harmony Fowl Songster

Jul 17, 2017
    Virginia
    Under two weeks and you're probably fine. Just make sure the new babies are up on their feet and not still wanting to sleep and recover from hatching. Sometimes I see a little bullying when I add just one, so I would add them all at once or in a couple small groups.

10. Purple_grape84

Purple_grape84 Songster

Jan 19, 2019
    Lamont, AB, Canada
    I have been adding chicks to my brooder as they hatch all spring, and removing the oldest, mostly feathered, out to the babies coop. I have not had any issues. I have a newborn brooder where I let them get to be about 3 days old, standing and finding food and water without problem. Then into large brooder.

FoodFreedomNow and Harmony Fowl like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: