Opinions about the deep litter method.

Atomiccarebear

In the Brooder
May 20, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
We live in Tennessee and it gets cold in the winter time. I've read that the deep litter method can help keep the coop warmer and surprisingly doesn't smell. Has anyone tried this on their own coop?

It certainly can, once you get some active composting taking place.

I also think that the extra material on the floor and along the bottom of the walls probably helps some with insulation.

I don't know that it produces a lot of heat. My coop was generally between 10 and 20 degrees warmer inside than the outside temperature. Much of that is just do to having walls and chickens inside producing their own body heat.

My opinion is that I'll trade dry for colder temps any time, so warmth isn't my primary objective.

Deep litter doesn't smell when it's managed well. If it's cold enough for the moisture in droppings to freeze before any composting action in deep litter can take place, it won't smell - because it's frozen - but later when it thaws ammonia levels will skyrocket and the coop will wreak. I doubt there'll be too much of an issue with that in Tennessee.

No, on the gravel....long term not a good idea, any bedding would sift down into ti..

Ditto the 'general drainage issues'.....
....might want to cover your run with a solid roof.
Where are you that you get 90" of rain a year?

Here's a great description of contents and how to manage organic 'bedding' in a run or coop...and there's a great video of what it looks like.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037998/muddy-run-help-please#post_16017992

X2 what @WesleyBeal said. Also the link in the above post from @aart is very helpful:D

You have to click on the quote box to see your whole quote with the link. I just checked it:frow

(I shouldn't have been so lazy and made that easier to see:oops:)

You have to click on the quote box to see your whole quote with the link. I just checked it:frow

(I shouldn't have been so lazy and made that easier to see:oops:)
Ohhhhhh thought you were quoting from this thread<smackhead> :D
Am not totally used to looking at this new format....
...I just missed it seeing the quote you were referring to.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom