Opinions of cold climate chicken keepers needed

I'm a firm believer in keeping chickens out of severe cold. They were tropical birds after all! I hesitate in saying "keeping them warm" all winter,, because that isn't practical. I don't want an extreme difference in the outside temps and the coop. I just don't want it "freezing" inside the coop. It gets cold in Kansas. But NOT below zero. My current coop is big (10x10 + 8' ceiling). It is insulated but the windows are inferior. I keep one of those oil filled radiator-look heaters in there. I used to have one of those big heat bulbs but never again. It fell one day and started burning a hole in the floor. Why the whole coop didn't start on fire is beyond me. Scarey. Anyways, the heater works well since there are no open flames and they won't get on it. I think a tiny coop like yours may be heated enough by a 100 watt lightbulb, properly caged and protected.

I'm a firm believer in keeping chickens out of severe cold. They were tropical birds after all! I hesitate in saying "keeping them warm" all winter,, because that isn't practical. I don't want an extreme difference in the outside temps and the coop. I just don't want it "freezing" inside the coop. It gets cold in Kansas. But NOT below zero. My current coop is big (10x10 + 8' ceiling). It is insulated but the windows are inferior. I keep one of those oil filled radiator-look heaters in there. I used to have one of those big heat bulbs but never again. It fell one day and started burning a hole in the floor. Why the whole coop didn't start on fire is beyond me. Scarey. Anyways, the heater works well since there are no open flames and they won't get on it. I think a tiny coop like yours may be heated enough by a 100 watt lightbulb, properly caged and protected.
Thanks for your input. I am still concerned about next week. They've lowered it to -17 now. And they are just 4 little bantams. Still waiting for a first egg, they're 22 weeks now. Undoubtedly one will start laying on the coldest day next week so my first egg will be flash frozen, haha. I do have a Cozy Products heat plate coming from Amazon tomorrow. So I'll at least have a choice of what to do.

I am a fan of supplemental heat when needed, to me that's about 15 and under. I have two orpington roosters with fairly large combs and wattles. I do not try to heat the coop but provide them a place to go warm up if needed. The second I switched on the heat lamp this year the rooster came running over and started purring like a cat. We got do to about -4 recently and no frost bite. When I did go in the coop with it that cold you did notice discoloration of the comb tip and wattle front edge. So I think had conditions gotten worse and no lamp I would have had frost bite roosters. This past week we have gone from -5° to 55° with 99% humidity. That is a heck of a condition swing to have them go thru without some help (in my opinion). Good luck I hope everything goes well for you.:fl

Thanks for your input. I am still concerned about next week. They've lowered it to -17 now. And they are just 4 little bantams. Still waiting for a first egg, they're 22 weeks now. Undoubtedly one will start laying on the coldest day next week so my first egg will be flash frozen, haha. I do have a Cozy Products heat plate coming from Amazon tomorrow. So I'll at least have a choice of what to do.
I would install the second you get it. It's not when its -17 you want to be out there doing it.

They love being outside so much, I'd hate for them to have a shock when they went out of the warmer coop that morning.
I doubt it will heat the coop too much, not with adequate ventilation. ...and you're well set up to monitor conditions.

I would install the second you get it. It's not when its -17 you want to be out there doing it.
Ditto Dat^^^

We all were tropical once. Would you wear a down coat in the tropics.

They did fine last night. In fact this morning when it was still below zero, they were all sitting on the outside perch. Tough chickies! Not sure about the -15 coming up though. That is cooooold. I'll have the heat plate by then but I'm not going to open it up till I decide to use it. They love being outside so much, I'd hate for them to have a shock when they went out of the warmer coop that morning. I like that they go out in any weather and don't want to encourage huddling in the coop if they're fine outside.
In case anyone else reads this, I didn't ignore Cyprus' question, I sent her a PM. :)

I’m in Central WI
They did fine last night. In fact this morning when it was still below zero, they were all sitting on the outside perch. Tough chickies! Not sure about the -15 coming up though. That is cooooold. I'll have the heat plate by then but I'm not going to open it up till I decide to use it. They love being outside so much, I'd hate for them to have a shock when they went out of the warmer coop that morning. I like that they go out in any weather and don't want to encourage huddling in the coop if they're fine outside.
In case anyone else reads this, I didn't ignore Cyprus' question, I sent her a PM. :)

No More Empty Nest and Cyprus- I’m in NE WI. I have a mixed flock of a dozen standard sized and bantam chickens. I read somewhere (probably on BYC!) to use Musher’s Secret dog paw protectant on chickens’ combs to prevent frostbite. I’ve used that the last couple of nights, so far all are doing great!

Are they sleeping near it?
Not that I am aware of, they come infront if it stay for a few and head off & repeat. Was funny just never heard a chicken purr before. Maybe it reminded him of his chick days. :idunno
It was in the teens last night so I turned the cozy coop heater on. When I walked in this morning my Legbar was parked right infront of it and the floor was down to concrete so they must have spent some time scratching around in front.

We all were tropical once. Would you wear a down coat in the tropics.
If your down coat is use to 20° temps and suddenly drops to -10 or worse your down coat isn't condition or built for that yet. Same idea when most say don't use heat in case of power loss. Well extreme temp swings is no different than a power loss to a bird. Supplement heat is not bad when needed in my opinion. With this recent severe cold snap the next couple days the eggs suffered even with a heat lamp. How would it have been without one? No one knows. Few soft shells mostly, so yes the birds may adapt but it doesn't mean they aren't suffering they are surviving. My 2cents.

Back
Top Bottom