Opinions on Automatic Coop Doors?

I have battery operate ChickenGuard 2.2lbs lift max and working fine for several years. If I have to buy again, would go with something capable 9 lbs+ with metal gear. I like to be able to open 3-6 aluminum doors (2 coops, 2 run doors, 2 feeder boxes).

I bought my automatic ADOR door in 2014 and absolutely would buy another if it failed now. I did have a few problems with the electronics when it first arrived due to the high humidity and rain here in east Hawaii, but Rod was great and sent a replacement with additional sealant applied, and at his suggestion I added a homemade canopy to give extra shelter to the electronics. It has worked flawlessly since then. https://adorstore.com/collections/all

I did hours of searching and it seemed like most doors were a pulley system up and down or they cost an arm and a leg. My fear was they didn’t lock. My run isn’t 100% secure because they go in at night and have a locking door that no predators can get into.
Anyways I went with the omlet automatic door. The color of it is the only downside, bright green...they have a grey one but it had a wait list. So to combat the green I mounted it on the inside of the coop.
It closes either to solar or to a timer (set open and close times).
It runs off of 4 AA batteries, it’s been 2 months and they are still at 100%.
It is self locking.
If it senses something in the way it stops and opens so it doesn’t crush the chickens.
And best of all it was super easy to set up...and under $200.

I have ordered my Omlet door, and also plan on mounting it on the inside of the coop. Have you found that the track gets clogged up with pine shavings at all when it is mounted on the inside?

Hi everyone!!! I was wondering if some of you could give me some reviews on some automatic coop doors. I've been looking into either the "Pullet Shut Door" or the automatic coop door by Omlet. Have any of you tried these and loved or hated them? I live in MN so I'm looking for one that will function well during the winter too. Any other suggestions are welcomed! They cost quite a bit so I want to make a good investment. Thanks in advance!!! 😊
Love my Omlet door.

I also have the omlet door and love it. It won't crush a chicken but will open up again. I also installed the light inside the coop and that works great as a signal for the hens to go inside. My coop windows are facing north and so it gets darker in the coop then in the run. But the light surely calls them in and gives them enough time to find their preferred spot on the roost. I have it set to auto, and after about 4 weeks of use my chicks all go in about 20' before the door closes.
Only at the very beginning did one chick not make in twice, but there is a simple door over-ride to open and close, even when set to automatic.

We live in south Texas so I can't attest to the cold weather side but we really like the pullet shut door especially the second chance feature. We have had it for about 18 months and it has worked flawlessly. We have the daylight to dark sensor option which works very well. Once your birds get the hang of how dark it is when it closes they are all in normally before the door closes. I will admit that if they get stubborn about going in and miss the second chance opening an hour in the DARK and they go right in the next night lol. The door is well built and easy to install and setup. If you choose the pullet shut door I would lubricate(3 in 1 oil) or their recommendation a couple times in the winter to be safe. I recommend the pullet shut door.
where did your door ship from? how long did it take to get it. I am in PA, USA

We ordered our grey Omlet door in August, and just received it last week. We installed it on the inside of our wooden coop for aesthetic reasons, but will be moving it to the traditional installation on the outside of the coop this weekend. When mounted on the inside, we found that the bottom track constantly gets clogged up with pine shavings and the door will not close.

Other than this, we like the door so far! The chickens got the hang of going in on their own at night after 2 nights of putting them in there ourselves.

Perfect! We're in Western NY. Major lake effect snow country, so yes. Haha. Lots of cold, lots of snow. This will be my first winter with the door and chickens though so we'll see. Best of luck!
I’ve got the omlet on my coop too and love it! I have yet to find a bad thing to say about it.

For those of you with the omlet automatic chicken door if I wanted to program it to open at say 6pm and close at 7pm would I be able to do that with the timer feature or does it require an a.m. opening hour and p.m. closing hour each day? My hens stay in their coop and run due to my desire for them to not DESTROY my very small backyard but I'd like to let them out each day for an hour or two.

Back
Top Bottom