Opinions on Automatic Coop Doors?

HotChicken623

Chirping
Apr 28, 2020
Hi everyone!!! I was wondering if some of you could give me some reviews on some automatic coop doors. I've been looking into either the "Pullet Shut Door" or the automatic coop door by Omlet. Have any of you tried these and loved or hated them? I live in MN so I'm looking for one that will function well during the winter too. Any other suggestions are welcomed! They cost quite a bit so I want to make a good investment. Thanks in advance!!! 😊

Can't say enough positive things about the Omlet Automatic coop door!

Best value for the money that I found. Sturdy, and very simple to install! The most unique and ideal feature with this door is that it cannot be forced open like the other vertical doors. Reviews I read on other doors mentioned that raccoons could Force open the other hanging style doors.

That was the feature that sold me on this specific door.

I currently have my door set to specific times to open and close, near the current sunrise and sunset times.

I may adjust the times as we go through the year or may switch to trying the light sensor feature.

The girls are still figuring out the door. They are pullets, 10 weeks old or so. 2 bigger chickens will go in each night, but 3 smaller hens haven't figured it out yet. So we do have to put them in each night right now.

I would highly recommend this door for anyone!
IMG_20200503_142634.jpg

Screenshot_20200424-214228.png

I did hours of searching and it seemed like most doors were a pulley system up and down or they cost an arm and a leg. My fear was they didn’t lock. My run isn’t 100% secure because they go in at night and have a locking door that no predators can get into.
Anyways I went with the omlet automatic door. The color of it is the only downside, bright green...they have a grey one but it had a wait list. So to combat the green I mounted it on the inside of the coop.
It closes either to solar or to a timer (set open and close times).
It runs off of 4 AA batteries, it’s been 2 months and they are still at 100%.
It is self locking.
If it senses something in the way it stops and opens so it doesn’t crush the chickens.
And best of all it was super easy to set up...and under $200.

Attachments

• 539B9E03-0E93-4216-96B0-23E269D37B61.jpeg
    539B9E03-0E93-4216-96B0-23E269D37B61.jpeg
    675.5 KB · Views: 23
Super helpful info on the omlet door. I am deciding between it and the chickendoor.com door. I was leaning toward omlet since it has a timer and light sensor, but I, too, did not like the green. But after reading these reviews and the fact it cannot be pried open (and that it is quite a bit less expensive than the chickendoor.com door), I'll go with Omlet.
Glad I could help! It’s an awesome door. We went on a 6 day vacation and didn’t have to worry about them one bit

Can't say enough positive things about the Omlet Automatic coop door!

Best value for the money that I found. Sturdy, and very simple to install! The most unique and ideal feature with this door is that it cannot be forced open like the other vertical doors. Reviews I read on other doors mentioned that raccoons could Force open the other hanging style doors.

That was the feature that sold me on this specific door.

I currently have my door set to specific times to open and close, near the current sunrise and sunset times.

I may adjust the times as we go through the year or may switch to trying the light sensor feature.

The girls are still figuring out the door. They are pullets, 10 weeks old or so. 2 bigger chickens will go in each night, but 3 smaller hens haven't figured it out yet. So we do have to put them in each night right now.

I would highly recommend this door for anyone!
View attachment 2142477

View attachment 2142471
Thank you so much for the response! I'm glad you love it. I ended up purchasing it and hoping for the best. It seemed to have really good reviews from multiple sites. Does it get cold where you live by chance? We're in Minnesota, so I'm hoping it will work through the winters as well!

Hi everyone!!! I was wondering if some of you could give me some reviews on some automatic coop doors. I've been looking into either the "Pullet Shut Door" or the automatic coop door by Omlet. Have any of you tried these and loved or hated them? I live in MN so I'm looking for one that will function well during the winter too. Any other suggestions are welcomed! They cost quite a bit so I want to make a good investment. Thanks in advance!!! 😊
We live in south Texas so I can't attest to the cold weather side but we really like the pullet shut door especially the second chance feature. We have had it for about 18 months and it has worked flawlessly. We have the daylight to dark sensor option which works very well. Once your birds get the hang of how dark it is when it closes they are all in normally before the door closes. I will admit that if they get stubborn about going in and miss the second chance opening an hour in the DARK and they go right in the next night lol. The door is well built and easy to install and setup. If you choose the pullet shut door I would lubricate(3 in 1 oil) or their recommendation a couple times in the winter to be safe. I recommend the pullet shut door.

Thank you so much for the response! I'm glad you love it. I ended up purchasing it and hoping for the best. It seemed to have really good reviews from multiple sites. Does it get cold where you live by chance? We're in Minnesota, so I'm hoping it will work through the winters as well!

Perfect! We're in Western NY. Major lake effect snow country, so yes. Haha. Lots of cold, lots of snow. This will be my first winter with the door and chickens though so we'll see. Best of luck!

Super helpful info on the omlet door. I am deciding between it and the chickendoor.com door. I was leaning toward omlet since it has a timer and light sensor, but I, too, did not like the green. But after reading these reviews and the fact it cannot be pried open (and that it is quite a bit less expensive than the chickendoor.com door), I'll go with Omlet.

I bought my automatic ADOR door in 2014 and absolutely would buy another if it failed now. I did have a few problems with the electronics when it first arrived due to the high humidity and rain here in east Hawaii, but Rod was great and sent a replacement with additional sealant applied, and at his suggestion I added a homemade canopy to give extra shelter to the electronics. It has worked flawlessly since then. https://adorstore.com/collections/all

Back
Top Bottom