1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opinions on best egg layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Steve P, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Rocky64

Rocky64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    X2, and production reds, I had a trio of black Australop but both hens got killed by foxes before they really got laying. The rooster is still alive and has fathered a cockerel for a breeding project.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  2. El Reno Baum

El Reno Baum New Egg

May 23, 2014
    I have Delawares. They were slow to get going but haven't slowed down in a year and a half. I keep a light on for 12 hours a day and they give 6 eggs a week and sometimes 7. Fantastic birds, good attitude and very friendly. Even the rooster runs to us to be picked up and hand fed. A big baby!

3. JustHenny

JustHenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2014
    Bethany, Illinois
    My first year black australorps layed well this winter. My buff orpingtons did an amazing job as well. Also one year olds. The older RIR's did about 3 eggs a week each. Most of my other hens barely did anything. I do not supplement light. I let my girls relax and not burn out early. However, if you intend major egg production, light in winter and eat around year 2 when you get new layers going. If you are going to keep your girls and just wanted to know what was the best, I would say the same most of these folks did, Orps or Australorps, RIR, Leghorns. My Orps and Australorps are the sweetest birds ever. Just make sure the grandbaby is taught to respect them as hopefully you respect all life. Not to say that you aren't going to be careful... just remember salmonella as well and keep sanitizer near the coop. My daughter has grown up with love and respect for the animals here at home. She learned the rules early and has been very careful since she was young. I didn't scare her away with too many rules, just hard and fast rules that wont change. Now she is 11 and teaching the younger kids the same she has learned from me. It's encouraging to watch. Have fun with whatever decision you make! You will enjoy whatever breed you choose. Chickens are awesome!!!

1 person likes this.
  4. littlesparrow11

littlesparrow11 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    Vermont
    My Australorps and Orpingtons also did a magnificent job. I think I read somewhere that the world record for egg-laying was set by an australorp! (364 eggs in 365 days!)

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    In my opinion and experiences, leghorns, rhode island reds, sex links, ancona, new hampshire red, welsummers,barred rocks and easter eggers are the best layers. Leghorns, sex links and rhode island reds all lay every day for their first three years of life usually. Their eggs are large and very tasty. Barred rocks and easter eggers are also great layers but don't lay for as long. They tend to decrease around their 2nd year of life.

If you are wanting pet chickens that lay eggs, rhode island reds, sex links and leghorns are probably not the best options. They tend to be flighty and skittish. In this case, easter eggers, barred rocks, buff orpingtons,black australorps, wyandottes and sussex chickens are your best choices. They are all friendly and affectionate usually.

If you are wanting a laying hen that will be meaty and able to eat once they are done laying, then buff orpingtons, faveroloes, jersey giants, black australorps, cochins, barred rocks and rhode island reds are your best options.

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  6. browning6

browning6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Winton, California
    I think my best layers have been my cross bred hens. I had a RIR rooster and a Buff Orpington rooster and a barred rock rooster over my conglomerate of hens.

I would get some interesting cross bred hens. most of them would lay a big egg and lay very consistently.

So my vote are the cross bred hens. I don't know if hybrid vigor is a big player in chickens but my hens sure laid well.

7. maddog3355

maddog3355 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2014
    Missouri
    There isn't a chicken in the world that will lay an egg everyday for the first 3 years of its life.

8. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog

How might you know?

9. maddog3355

maddog3355 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2014
    Missouri
    I've been around chickens for 30 years and common knowledge.

10. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    It's rare,but has happened....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by