Opinions on best egg layers

W
Im getting back into raising chickens and was wondering thoughts on which breed to get for the most egg laying.  I had RIR before and they were ok I had 9 birds but only got 6 eggs a day.  What are everyones thoughts?

I have Vorwerks, they are a beautiful rare breed. I live in the UK and during the winter (time when they are meant to stop laying) I was getting atleast 5 eggs a day from my 6 hens. Most days now I always collect 6/6 xo

I started with White Leghorns and Golden Comets. I'm in the deep south, so their winter slack off wasn't as long or as severe for me as it is in most of the country. My Leghorns were more readily affected by daylight (cloudy days, reduced sunlight in the winter, etc. My Golden Comets (Red Sex Links) were less quickly affected by cloudy days but it took them a little longer to get back to laying than the Leghorns.
If I were starting again, I'd get half White Leghorns and half Red Sex-Links again. I got 6-7 eggs a week per hen out of them in the summer and I got 5 eggs a week per hen out of them in the winter. Oh, and I free range; sometimes that makes a difference.

Hope that helps. =)

I am about to venture into this journey of backyard chickens, I read one story in this site somewhere that buff orphingtons were good layers too. Just wanted to throw that out there and get some views.

Back
Top Bottom