Opinions on best egg layers

Any info on how many years they lay decently? That is what kept me from getting sex links, the impression that they burn out fairly fast. That wouldn't be a problem if we could eat them when they stop laying well but my "emotional vegetarian" daughter would not deal well with that.
I get two high yield laying years out of my Black Sex Links before they start slowing down. I normally rotate my flock out every 2-3 years to keep their egg production at a high level, but occasionally we get attached to some and keep them longer. Even when the BSL lay rate drops off the third year, it is still as good as most of the better laying dual purpose breeds in their prime. I've had a few BSLs that have still been laying pretty well at 4-5 years. The Black Sex Links don't usually seem to burn out quite as fast as the Red Sex Links.

My four 8-months-old Leghorns give us 4 eggs a day consistently, and ours are all lap chickens since day 1. LOL! Anyone can walk up to them and pat them like puppies or pick them up. They will all jump up to eat out of our hands; one will fly onto my extended arm to eat the treats in my hand.

Ignorant is a bliss in this case because we have no predisposition about their breed or personality, so we played with them a lot and they are used to the human touch.

My four 8-months-old Leghorns give us 4 eggs a day consistently, and ours are all lap chickens since day 1. LOL! Anyone can walk up to them and pat them like puppies or pick them up. They will all jump up to eat out of our hands; one will fly onto my extended arm to eat the treats in my hand.

Ignorant is a bliss in this case because we have no predisposition about their breed or personality, so we played with them a lot and they are used to the human touch.

This picture is so adorable words cannot express!

Thanks. Im also looking for a bird that isn't to mean either. We have a 2 1/2 year old grand daughter that I want to be able to collect eggs with us when shes here.

isa brown, golden comet, cinnamon queen - all of them are pets and good layers.

Haha, if we are talking noisy birds now, my Wyandottes will give most birds a run for their money. I also have a Red Sex Link of some sorts that is just about as loud. Haha. They are wailers.
lau.gif

I read that black australorp holds record for brown egg laying at 364 in a year and leghorn holds record for white egg laying (as mentioned by another member) at 371 in a year

Haha, if we are talking noisy birds now, my Wyandottes will give most birds a run for their money. I also have a Red Sex Link of some sorts that is just about as loud. Haha. They are wailers.
lau.gif

I have a group of 10 month old OEGB cockerels. They'd take that bet against your Wyandottes

They are so noisy, I want to
smack.gif
sometimes. "bro, I'm just grabbing an egg here..."

If you know which hen is eating the eggs, it's time to eat her. It doesn't get better, it gets worse because the others will develop the bad habit from seeing her do it.

Enjoy your chickens!
They're great therapists and cheaper than shrinks.

If you know which hen is eating the eggs, it's time to eat her. It doesn't get better, it gets worse because the others will develop the bad habit from seeing her do it.

Enjoy your chickens!
They're great therapists and cheaper than shrinks.

Yeah in most cases I just stew 'em.

Chances are that it has already spread.

I concur with the flightiness of leghorns, perhaps the flightiest of all breeds. But I wouldn't consider them aggressive. Maybe some people are taking "aggressiveness" for flightiness. Leghorns are so flighty that they will do anything to get away from you. (fly into you, fly over your head, etc.) I wouldn't say they do it purposely, though.

I would not consider them "attackers" like some roosters that the minute you come into their domain they go after you. I've only had one of those, a Black Star rooster, my boot tamed him. After a while he mellowed and would never come near me.

Enjoy your chickens!
They're great therapists and much cheaper than a shrink.

Back
Top Bottom