Opinions on best feed.

Pics

Theorrin

Songster
May 18, 2023
Louisiana
I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on the best feed brands you use. I got away from Dumor and producer's pride as my babies wasn't getting enough from them. I'm currently using Purina but since Dumor is made by Purina I'm not entirely trusting of it.

Opinion: I feed Dumor 20% Grower crumble with Oyster shell on the side.

It's inexpensive at $20 / 50lbs. Every now and then, the bags in the store are too old, so I pick up Flock Raiser instead (for $5 more). I was surprised it looks / smells exactly the same, and the birds don't think there's any difference. Which is odd, because our chickens can be fussy.
Feed can be weird in that the region it's made makes a big difference. They only have to meet the nutrition targets, the ingredients / ratios can be different from place to place.

They hated when I tried getting them on Nutrena. It smelled strongly of herbs and they barely touched it.
They love the taste of the Flock Party brand crumble feeds (mealworms ground in the mix) but it doesn't have economical sized bags.

When I've been growing out feathery breeds and during molt, I mix some 30% Gamebird crumble into the Dumor at a ratio that will yield 24% protein. Birds love that!
My main takeaway after years raising chickens is that it's not worth it to skimp on protein.

Well, the bags of feed say Purina on them, so I am assuming that they are Purina.
Most Nestle stuff says Nestle on it, so I don't buy it. They took over San Pelagrino some time back.
Purina within the USA is not Purina outside the USA. Inside the USA Purina is owned by Land O'Lakes Cooperative, while outside the Purina brand is owned by Cargill.

DDGS (Dried Distillers Grains with Solubles) is a co-product of corn processing in a Dry Grind Plant. It is essentially everything in a corn kernel except the carbohydrate portion. It contains about three time the protein and crude fiber as corn since the carbohydrates are used by the bacteria to ferment into ethanol.

In the past decade the industry developed methods to remove the oil in DDGS to sell as Corn Oil or to be used to make BioDiesel. This changes the value proposition for Nutritionists like me to consider when using DDGS in formulations.

I don't trust Nestle!
That implies that you do trust some large corporations.
Purina within the USA is not Purina outside the USA. Inside the USA Purina is owned by Land O'Lakes Cooperative, while outside the Purina brand is owned by Cargill.
More detail for those reading ( and I hope I remember correctly. I trust Lazy J to correct if incorrect.)
Purina livestock division USA -> Land O'Lakes
Purina pet division USA -> Nestle
Purina pet and/or livestock outside USA -> licensed to Cargill

Lack of egg laying, dull feathers, no to low energy (with dumor) purina seems fine as everyone is healthy and active but just wasn't trusting. Edit: and as stated i just want opinions.
Egg production isn't usually affected by feed unless it's really low protein and old and in that case, it would likely stop.
We can't really answer this question unless you provide more information on what your birds get and do.
Treats/scraps? In a coop or free ranging?
What feed works best for being cooped up with little to no treats might not be good for birds that get moderate treats and free ranging. We need find the nutritional balance for how we individually care for our birds.
If it was just the basic 16% layer, a lot of bird don't do well on that, the proteins too low, especially if they get treats or get to scamper around the yard.

Back
Top Bottom