Opinions on dark brown egg layers?

inputoutput

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
Cumberland, MD
Now that my coop is finished I get to start thinking about what birds I want to get. I currently have a pekin duck of questionable gender and a leghorn hen. I love the dark brown eggs of marans but I have also heard they don't lay as often... I really don't know what is the best breed. When it comes down to it egg "productivity" is important to me. Hard to compare any layer to a leghorn (she would lay her egg in the middle of a snowstorm on a pile of thumb tacks if thats the only spot she had to do it) but how often do your dark browns eggers lay and could you recommend me a breed, if marans aren't a good choice?

I really like welsummers. They are great layers. I get almost an egg a day/bird from my two girls. They have had short periods of time where they did not lay if they were uncomfortable. But they are awesome girls!!

No exspert here, but I think Marans will do just fine as layers at least I hope so
wink.png

You can't beat delawares for eggs and meat. They lay a large egg that is brown also. How many birds are you planning on gettig.
I would get a delaware, one welsummer, and a naked neck. My NN's layed pretty well and were my friendliest birds I ever had.

Marans are dual purpose both eggs and meat.

So they will lay very nice for you
wink.png

My old marans layed an egg a day with little to no breaks in between.
I think you will enjoy marans as an egg layer, once you get marans eggs nothing else compares
lol.png

Welsummers lay bigger eggs but won't lay as many eggs.
That is why they will hold egg color longer.

Marans also make great mother hens, welsummers not so much.

I'm still so torn!! I only want 2-3 chickens and my duck to be honest. The coop is tall but not very large (a little over 6x6 on the interior and the outside run is like 6x12). I know chickens sleep UP but I still don't want to overcrowd. Plus I only have one person who buys my unused eggs from me

If I were you (and I am not) I would grab the BELP assortment from McMurray hatchery. They have a bunch of mixed breeds that will give you great egg laying, and a wonderful selection of birds. In the summer I give away more eggs than I care to count. Good luck with your selection!
P.S. Get another duck also... They love company! They co-exist with chickens with no real issues, but they do like company... You know the birds of a feather thing!!!
smile.png

I have these and love them. Here is what BREEDS at BYC says about Welsh Harlequin Ducks .

Breed Colors / Varieties: Silver Phase Gold Phase

Breed History: Welsh Harlequin ducks are a derivative of Khaki Campbell ducks. When Leslie Bonnet of Wales found 2 light color mutations in her khaki flock, she began to breed for the trait. Welsh Harlequin ducks began to be imported in to the US in the late 60's with additional imports made in the 80's to diversify the gene pool. Welsh Harlequins were recognized by the American Poultry Association in 2001.

Breed Comments / Experience:

Weight classification: Lightweight breed. 5-6 pounds. Dual purpose. Great egg layer. Plucks clean.

Brooding: Welsh Harlequin hens will brood their own eggs.

Eggs/year: 300+

Now there are some egg layers!

Back
Top Bottom