Egg color??

HazelandPearl

Songster
5 Years
Mar 16, 2018
Fernandina Beach FL
Any guesses on what color egg she should lay? This a an older picture, she’s a fast one. She’s 9 months old now but I don’t think she’s laying yet and if she has it’s a pale light brown/cream color. I was told she’s a cream leg bar/ee mix and “should” lay a green or blue egg. She hatched from a blue egg. I only have 5 chickens.
Turken- light brown egg
Black copper maran- dark brown egg
Blue astrolorp- light brown egg
Olive egger mix- light green egg (has not laid in 5 months) no clue why.
Well yesterday I got 3 light brown eggs (copper maran did not lay) … so she had to have laid the lighter cream/light brown one right? I was really wanting one of each color (got the Turken because they just are so funny looking). Please tell me I am wrong and she has just not laid an egg yet…

Attachments

• IMG_8126.png
    IMG_8126.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Any guesses on what color egg she should lay? She’s a few months older now but I don’t think she’s laying yet and if she has it’s a pale light brown/cream color. I was told she’s a cream leg bar/ee mix and “should” lay a green or blue egg. I only have 5 chickens.
Turken- light brown egg
Well yesterday I got 3 light brown eggs (copper maran did not lay) … so she had to have laid the lighter cream/light brown one right? I was really wanting one of each color (got the Turken because they just are so funny looking). Please tell me I am wrong and she has just not laid an egg yet…
Judging by her face, she's not laying yet.

Any guesses on what color egg she should lay? She’s a few months older now but I don’t think she’s laying yet and if she has it’s a pale light brown/cream color. I was told she’s a cream leg bar/ee mix and “should” lay a green or blue egg. I only have 5 chickens.
Turken- light brown egg
Well yesterday I got 3 light brown eggs (copper mean did not lay) … so she had to have laid the lighter cream/light brown one right? I was really wanting one of each color (got the Turken because they just are so funny looking). Please tell me I am wrong and she has just not laid an egg yet…

Whether she lays blue/green eggs or light brown eggs, there is no real way to tell by looking at her.

You will probably be able to figure it out over the next few weeks. If you regularly get three light brown eggs in one day, you will know this pullet does lay light brown.

But if it turns out to be a one-time event, there are several other ways to get three light brown eggs in one day from the hens you have:

--one egg was laid another day. It may been hidden in the nest (under bedding or in a corner where you didn't see it), or it may have been laid late in the day and you didn't check again until morning.

--the marans laid a much lighter egg than normal. This can happen with any hen that lays brown: sometimes the brown coating doesn't get put on the outside of the egg, or it gets put on much thinner than usual.

--either the Turken or the Australorp laid two eggs in one day. This is definitely not common, but I've read that it can happen on rare occasions. (Similar to a double-yolk egg, but two eggs in quick succession instead.)

Whether she lays blue/green eggs or light brown eggs, there is no real way to tell by looking at her.

You will probably be able to figure it out over the next few weeks. If you regularly get three light brown eggs in one day, you will know this pullet does lay light brown.

But if it turns out to be a one-time event, there are several other ways to get three light brown eggs in one day from the hens you have:

--one egg was laid another day. It may been hidden in the nest (under bedding or in a corner where you didn't see it), or it may have been laid late in the day and you didn't check again until morning.

--the marans laid a much lighter egg than normal. This can happen with any hen that lays brown: sometimes the brown coating doesn't get put on the outside of the egg, or it gets put on much thinner than usual.

--either the Turken or the Australorp laid two eggs in one day. This is definitely not common, but I've read that it can happen on rare occasions. (Similar to a double-yolk egg, but two eggs in quick succession instead.)
Thank you so there’s hope lol !! 🥰that was very informative I appreciate it! I looked at her ear lobes and they are small. Not all white just a little, not sure that matters

You bought her right?
Yes from a young girl in my town. She said she came from a blue egg and that she was 6 weeks old when I purchased her. She was born middle of March but she was very very slow to mature which I read is a trait from the cream legbar. I have never gotten 3 light brown eggs so I just assumed she was still not laying.

Back
Top Bottom