Egg color??

Yes from a young girl in my town. She said she came from a blue egg and that she was 6 weeks old when I purchased her. She was born middle of March but she was very very slow to mature which I read is a trait from the cream legbar. I have never gotten 3 light brown eggs so I just assumed she was still not laying.
Also to mention she said all of her layers produced blue or green eggs… I’m kinda new so I didn’t know much to ask any further questions.

Thank you so there’s hope lol !! 🥰that was very informative I appreciate it! I looked at her ear lobes and they are small. Not all white just a little, not sure that matters
The ear lobe color does not help in this case.

Ear lobe color can sometimes help figure out what breed a chicken is. Knowing the breed will usually tell what color eggs she will lay.

But in this case she is a mix, and you already know what is in the mix. So looking at her earlobes will not tell you anything more than what you already knew: she has a chance of laying blue or green eggs.

Yes from a young girl in my town. She said she came from a blue egg and that she was 6 weeks old when I purchased her. She was born middle of March but she was very very slow to mature which I read is a trait from the cream legbar. I have never gotten 3 light brown eggs so I just assumed she was still not laying.
For a chick that hatches from a blue egg, the chance of laying blue or green eggs can be as high as 100% or as low as 50% or somewhere in between, depending on the exact genes of the mother and the father. The other 0% to 50% of chicks will lay eggs that are brown or white, depending on what breeds are involved.

The ear lobe color does not help in this case.

Ear lobe color can sometimes help figure out what breed a chicken is. Knowing the breed will usually tell what color eggs she will lay.

But in this case she is a mix, and you already know what is in the mix. So looking at her earlobes will not tell you anything more than what you already knew: she has a chance of laying blue or green eggs.

For a chick that hatches from a blue egg, the chance of laying blue or green eggs can be as high as 100% or as low as 50% or somewhere in between, depending on the exact genes of the mother and the father. The other 0% to 50% of chicks will lay eggs that are brown or white, depending on what breeds are involved.
Ok my heart of hearts thinks she’s laying the cream. I can’t have more chickens in my small area and my hopes of having one of each color just burst into flames lol but I love them and they will live a long happy life here.

Ok my heart of hearts thinks she’s laying the cream. I can’t have more chickens in my small area and my hopes of having one of each color just burst into flames lol but I love them and they will live a long happy life here.
You will probably know for sure within a few weeks, or possibly sooner than that.

Please do update after it becomes clear, because I am curious to know what the answer really is.

If she is half pure Legbar, she should definitely lay blue or green, depending on what color the EE she’s mixed with laid. Give it a few more days, see if you can find her messing around in a nesting box or laying an egg.

If she is half pure Legbar, she should definitely lay blue or green, depending on what color the EE she’s mixed with laid. Give it a few more days, see if you can find her messing around in a nesting box or laying an egg.
If the Legbar was pure for the blue egg gene (like Legbars are supposed to be), then yes that is true.

But unfortunately there are some "pure" Legbars that lay other color eggs. Other blue egg breeds like Araucanas and Ameraucanas have the same problem. It's easy enough to have a flock that all lay blue eggs, but a few carry the gene for not-blue eggs, and you can't tell who they are without test-mating or DNA testing (and the DNA testing is a fairly recent thing, just available in the past few years.) It would be like single comb birds showing up in rose comb breeds (like Wyandottes), another case where you can't tell who carries the recessive gene (not-rose) without test mating.

The problem can happen with chickens from hatcheries and from breeders, even good breeders. A good breeder of a colored-egg breed is paying attention to all the details: not just egg color, but also body shape and feather color and temperament and general health and so forth. If they just focus on egg color, they can easily lose some of the other important traits.

Well guys my suspicions were correct. watched her lay this color today. Thank you for all of your opinions! 😭 no blue for me for now.
IMG_8134.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom