opinions on the best breed for roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jemimarose, Sep 10, 2013.

1. jemimarose

jemimarose Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2013
    I have a flock of 10 hens of different breeds, and one guinea (left over from a small flock a few years ago). I thought it was a hen, but I found out it's a male. It's abusing my girls, which doesn't fly with me, so he's got to go. Problem is, he kept the hawks away, and my girls are pretty silly so I don't know if they have the sense to defend themselves. So I'm in the market for a rooster.
    BUT I want a man who's firm yet sensitive; the strong, silent type. In other words, I want him to look out for them but not beat them up, and not start crowing at 4am and continue into the night. any suggestions?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    What breeds/types are your hens mostly? I take it they get to free range? Are you planning on getting a rooster as a chick or will you get an older bird?

3. jemimarose

jemimarose Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2013
    Well, they aren't mostly anything. I have 2 RIR's, 1 White Leghorn, 1 Australorp, 3 of what look like Amber Whites, but not sure, 1 Red-breasted Rosecomb and 2 Speckled Sussex. I'm not planning on hatching chicks, I just want a rooster who will--fairly quietly--watch over my free-range flock without beating them up. I don't even care if he's friendly to humans, as long as he doesn't actually attack with intent to kill (me).
    As for whether to get a chick or an adult, I'd really prefer a proven adult, since I hear it takes a year to see if they're going to be a good fit or not. But I'll raise one if there's a good bet on a breed that will meet my criteria.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by