Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by enggass, Aug 31, 2011.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Ok, so I need to rig a new 'Winter Water' setup for the coming winter...
    For my first coop and 5 hens last year I used a heated pet bowl/dish... Worked great. I will be using this again but I will also need another setup because of the new (13) birds I have.
    I am considering either a heated Poultry Waterer made by Miller, but the reviews are pretty bad, or a heated base and a galvanized waterer.
    What would you do? I'm leaning toward the heated base setup....
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I think that's the heated waterters that I use (Miller) but not completely sure - they are white plastic tops with red plastic bottoms, and the heat source is built right in. I absolutely love mine! I have several; the first one was difficult to get the top part back on after refilling, but they've made several improvements to it along the way, and the last one I purchased was quite easy to work with.

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    It depends on your setup. If it is all enclosed, you can do waterer cups hooked up to a bucket with a heater inside.

4. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    My answer may not be the norm

Since we don't always use a "Chicken Waterer" I have a kiddie pool that I use and in the winter I just drop a water tank heater into it. All it takes is an extension cord. I only use it when the days are below freezing otherwise I just break the ice in the morning and check on it about noon. That a way I am not plugged in all winter long. lol

5. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Quote:I read of people complaining that they fill from the bottom and that it is difficult in the cold. This is originally what I had planned on getting until I read some bad reviews..

ETA: yes. The heated waterer from Miller... Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by