Opinions Plz: Durango woman’s dog shot, killed after chicken attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think she'll be successful in getting anything amended or re-lawed. The *warning* is already in place by the law itself being in place. Its not against the law to shoot and kill an animal that is harassing your livestock. That in itself is warning enough. As any officer of the law will tell you "ignorance is no excuse".

Think of the repercussions of this (stupid) amendment-- What exactly is a warning? A warning shot? hunting down the dog owner door to door as the dog gnaws off yet another good hen? This makes me say bad words!!! Can you imagine a judge having to listen to this crap? What if the dog owner says "lalalalalalalala-Ican'thearyou-lalalala" while you are warning them? Will that stand up in court as saying they weren't sufficiently warned? Do you have to send a certified letter? Isn't family court already like this?

It is an unfortunate situation for her and her grief is understandable. As another in this thread wrote, she is looking to blame someone and point the finger.

Know what I think would make a good law?? That the dog owner must replace/reimburse the livestock owner for what the dog killed. If I'm not mistaken, here in Louisiana, she would be, by law, reimbursing him for his chickens. I'm going to go look that up and I'll edit when I find it. Or when I don't find it
wink.png

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. Our law here in AR is exactly the same. I can't imagine it ever changing nor would I ever want it to...and I am a dog lover.

Quote:
My opinion is that it would be hard to get the signatures needed in the first place in CO. Maybe in a city, she could. Even if she got the needed signatures, I agree with Chemguy:I would be very surprised if livestock-related organizations did not lobby forcefully against the possible measure, if it makes it to the state legislature for consideration. The impact of such a thing would not be good. Livestock owners are already having trouble with wolves that attack their animals and can't legally do anything about it. They don't need the added threat of tame dogs that are probably more of a problem than wolves anyway.

I think she should be focusing more on her "friend" that let her dog run in the first place. He's the one responsible for the dog's death. Not the farmer.

So...some people think their animals

have every right to live

and kill

other animals

and

no one else has the right

to protect their animals

from being killed.

roll.png

Quote:
What is SSS?

Shoot
Shovel
Shut Up

Thanks!

Now that I know what that means, those that aren't already doing that would likely begin doing that if the law is changed/amended.

I'm pretty sure there are not even 85,000 people in Durango. It's a little place. So getting the signatures will require going somewhere bigger. It could certainly be done in Colorado Springs, Denver, or Boulder.

That said, I used to live in that area. Twelve years ago it was a major agricultural area--cattle, sheep, hay, grains, potatoes. Not so much anymore, there was a big drought, the farmers were forced to sell out, and who bought the land? Developers from California who divided it all up into 5-acre parcels with million dollar "log cabins" and got it zoned for no livestock, then sell the properties as "mountain ranches" to people from out of state who want vacation/retirement homes in the country but don't want livestock around. While living there, I actually had dogs set on me and people threaten to call police, and someone waved a rifle at me, all because I rode my horse down a public road in a neighborhood that had been a hay field a year before, because it was the only way to get to the gate that provided access to some trails on public land.

Colorado does not have a state wide leash law unless it's happened in the last couple of years. It varies from county to county. Rio Grande County has one because of me, even though I didn't do anything to advocate it...I was bitten badly by a dog belonging to friends of the family, ended up in the hospital with stitches in my head, and the county government had been wanting a leash law anyway, so they used me as a reason to get it. Of course, that dog was not roaming loose...it was in its owner's house.
roll.png

So, yeah, I think it's possible something could change. The livestock industry is losing its voice in Colorado and the city people are taking over the rural areas to make ski resorts. Colorado does have a law permitting the shooting of trespassing humans, but I could see them changing that too. The country people in a lot of rural areas there either don't know anything about what's going on in lawmaking or they just don't get involved in politics.

Oh, and bobbi-j, if you ask those in charge, there ARE no wolves in Colorado.
lol.png
So they are not a problem.

My neighbor's dog has attacked one of my hens once, in my own backyard! They promised me they would keep him leashed or put him in a fenced area, but often times, they don't.

I will shoot him if I catch him in my yard with another chicken in his mouth. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom