1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opossum 0 Male Goose 1

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BrendaJ, Sep 20, 2014.

1. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    There was a horrible racket outside tonight. My dogs went nuts. I went outback to find My big male goose fighting a opossum. He was keeping the opossum from getting into the chicken coop & doing a great job too. I grabbed the closest thing - a broom ( giggle ) & smacked that fat little thing away from my goose/chickens & across the yard until it ran under the fence. I know i should have done something more but just reacted. I laugh about it now but i know this could have been bad. [​IMG]

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    So glad it turned out good.....but, my personal experience with predators (never had experience with opossum) is that they come back-sometimes bringing family & friends to dinner with them.. Make sure to do a twice over the coop today & make sure that everything is predator proof. And be on the lookout. Very glad for your gladiator goose!![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    Hooray for the goose! Now I can tell hubby it's another reason why I need geese ;)

My reaction probably would have been the same as yours. When it comes to killing things I let hubby do that. But I'm pretty good with a broom myself. Maybe we should play a game of Opossum/broom hockey...

1 person likes this.
  4. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    [​IMG]
    Looks like protection mode was kicked in for a reason [​IMG] the King is protecting everyone & the nest :)

5. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

6. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    [​IMG]

Batter up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by